New Year

The cold air nipped at your face. There wasn't much of a breeze. But the closer you got to Times Square the more the tall buildings lining the streets created a giant wind tunnel. A freezing frigging cold wind tunnel. You glanced over at Ahkmenrah all bundled up in an old gray wool coat and matching beanie. His scarf wrapped snug around his neck, and his hands shoved into the pockets of his jacket.

Poor guy. He's not used to this kind of weather. He looks so different in 'normal' clothes. Still hot as hell though. You thought to yourself.

"We should be able to see the ball drop from here. We aren't going to get any closer to Times Square. Trust me." You explained looking up and down the street. "People have been saving spots there since this afternoon. There's a bar here that can hook us up though. We can pop in and have a drink or two before midnight. It'll still be good."

"So what exactly is this holiday about again?" Ahkmenrah asked shivering.

"It's about celebrating a new year. As of midnight tonight the old year will be over and the new one will begin." You told him.

"Why is so much alcohol consumed?" He asked as he watched a few people stumble around drunk.

"Um, I don't know. I guess because it's a celebration and people like to drink while they celebrate." You shrugged. "Have you ever been drunk?" You asked him.

Ahkmenrah thought for a moment. "I did partake in some wine here and there but it was not proper to become highly intoxicated, especially for a pharaoh." He answered. A small smile started in the corner of his mouth. He turned, facing you. "Well, there was this one time during the Festival for Sekhmet. I did drink in excess then, under close supervision, of course. I really don't remember much though."

You started laughing. "I promise you will remember tonight. We're going to take it slow. I was thinking champagne? I told Emily champagne. Although champagne might not be best because the bubbles can go straight to your head. But you gotta do champagne for your first New Years. I don't know, you seem like a lightweight. We are definitely staying away from hard liquor."

"Lightweight? Please Y/N I assure you I am no lightweight." He scoffed.

"Yeah, sure." You said as you rolled your eyes.

"Oh yes, I forgot. You are an expert at all things alcohol according to the many, many stories of drunken debauchery you've told us." He said glancing at you sideways.

"Are you calling me a lush?" You accused him.

"No, no. Just stating that you have a great deal of experience because of all your 'adventures'." He said air quoting 'adventures'.

You stuck your tongue out at him. "Oh whatever."

"Oh I am so sorry Y/N. Did I offend you? I thought that's what you were going for, you know, Mistress of Spirits." He said sarcastically.

You gave him a playful shove. "I thought you liked my stories. Ok. Fine. Fine. No more stories for Ahkmenrah." You said sticking your nose in the air, feigning offense.

He reached behind you and grabbed your hood and pulled it down over your face.

Flailing your arms around you shouted. "Hey!" Then yanked your hood back down and glared at him.

He had the nerve to look surprised. He turned all around, like he was looking for your assailant. Then held out his arms. "I don't know what happened?"

You looked him shaking your head. "You think you are so damn funny."

He shrugged, laughing, quite pleased with himself. It was impossible to be mad at him, not that you were. His face had such a unique combination of innocence and darkness you found so fascinating. It was hard to imagine him as a pharaoh, ruling over thousands of people. He was so kind and sweet. He truly cared for the other exhibits in the museum. And he was so curious about everything. The first few days after his release from his tomb he must have touched every single square inch of the museum. And asked a million questions. He did love listening to stories. Everyone's stories, backgrounds, cultures. It was like he couldn't get enough.