21,900

Some interesting news out of Africa: A group of archeologists in Egypt have discovered a new tomb. Unlike typical Egyptian tombs, the aforementioned had a structure reminiscent of Roman styles, and contained only a casket made of metal and draped in fabric. The tomb is being researched thoroughly, and we've learned that when the research is complete, the remains and artifacts will be sent to New York's Museum of Natural History. This has been the eight o'clock news, I'm Howard Malone.

❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈

21, 900.

It had been 21, 900 days since you had woken up for the first time. You counted each and every day you had spent screaming and pounding on the lid of your dungeon. So far, it was the same as how long you had been awake. When you first woke up, you were terrified. You thought you would be alone, in the dark, forever.

But then you heard voices and footsteps, and you were filled with hope. You began banging on the lid and screaming to be let out. You were filled with despair at the sound of retreating footsteps and fading voices. You screamed until you were hoarse, and your hands banged limply on the lid. You dissolved into a sobbing mess. Between your quiet sobs an gasping breaths, however, you heard something peculiar.

A man.

Screaming just as loud as you were.

It was an odd comfort, knowing you weren't alone in your suffering.

But one day, his screaming stopped.

And you were truly alone.

Every night, you screamed to be let out. But now you were even more desperate, knowing everyone was outside and you were still trapped within.

One night, after hearing the footsteps retreat for the thousandth time, you decided it wasn't worth it anymore. You were left in your prison night after night. Why would anything change? With this new mindset, you decided to fall asleep, of your own free will, for the first time in sixty years.

❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈

"Hey Larry?" Larry looked up from his paperwork.

"What's up?"

"What's that pile of boxes in the back store room? The ones dated 1956?"

"Those have been here since before I started. I have no idea, but they're from Egypt." Ahkmenrah perked up at the mention of Egypt.

"Can we open them and see?" Larry thought, before shrugging.

"I don't see why not." Larry grabbed a crowbar from the storage closet and motioned for the Pharaoh to follow. They reached the pile of boxes and pulled the dusty tarp off the pile of boxes. Most of the boxes were uneventful: A jar here, a chair there. Things didn't get interesting until they reached the bottom of the pile.

"Warning: human remains," Ahkmenrah read aloud. He looked over at Larry, who had a confused look on his face.

"Wouldn't we have heard something?" Ahkmenrah shrugged.

"Open it." Larry nodded and stepped forward. He wedged the crowbar under the wooden lid, and (with some assistance from Ahkmenrah) managed to pry it open. A simple metal casket adorned with faded cloth rested inside. The men nodded at each other and each grabbed an end of the lid.

"On three. One...two...three!" They both lifted the lid with all their strength. The lid groaned as it was slid out of place, and the two dropped it on the ground before inspecting the now open casket.

"Oh my God." Ahkmenrah breathed just as the girl inside opened her eyes.

❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈❈

When you opened your eyes, you expected to be greeted with the ever-present darkness. You weren't expecting to see two men standing over, watching you in bewilderment. At first you thought it was a dream. You blinked extra hard, and rubbed your eyes with your knuckles, but they were still there. The one dressed in orange and blue robes extended a hand to you. You took it, dazed, and allowed him to pull you to your feet. The other one helped you out of your casket.

"What's your name?" The first one asked.

"Y-Y/N." You answered. Your name sounded so foreign to you, and you loved the way it rolled off your tongue. The first one smiled at you.

"That's a lovely name." You blushed. "This is Larry, and I'm Ahkmenrah." You smiled.

"Where am I?"

"The Museum of Natural History." You raised an eyebrow. Ahkmenrah laughed. "Come on; I'll give you the tour. You followed him out of the backroom, and your jaw dropped at what you saw. People in all sorts of strange costumes were milling about, and animals you had never seen before bounded across the halls. Ahkmenrah showed you all the places in the museum, from the main lobby to the Hall of Miniatures. "And this is my exhibit." You walked in and looked around. The walls were covered in symbols. He told you they were called hieroglyphics. At the end of the hall there was an ornate casket. The lid was laying on the ground next to it, and you put two and two together.

"You were in there?" You pointed at the casket. He nodded. "It was you..." You said at last.

"I'm sorry?"

"It was you." Seeing he didn't understand, you elaborated. "All those years I was trapped in my casket, I was screaming. I was screaming and screaming. Night after night. For 21, 900 days. But I wasn't the only one. You were screaming too, weren't you?" Realization dawned on Ahkmenrah's face, and he nodded. "One day you stopped screaming. And I realized I was alone again. So I didn't see the point in screaming if no one would be there to hear me." Ahkmenrah looked at you sympathetically, and laid a hand on your shoulder.
"I'm so sorry that happened to you. If I had known you were there, I would've made sure you were let out years ago." You smiled in gratitude.

"Thank you." You told him sincerely. "Just knowing you would've is enough for me." He smiled down at you, and you both turned away. You walked back out of his exhibit and continued to explore the museum in a comfortable silence.

✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾

┏━━━━━━━・✾・━━━━━━━┓night-at-the-museum-imagines┗━━━━━━━・✾・━━━━━━━┛

┏━━━━━━━・✾・━━━━━━━┓
night-at-the-museum-imagines
┗━━━━━━━・✾・━━━━━━━┛