No Actor

Ever since the Museum of Natural History started its night shows where they replace the exhibits with actors and animatronics, you found yourself going more often. The novelty wore off early, and it was kind of odd to walk through what's usually genuine artifacts and still sculptures with all of them replaced (and it seemed like it was a bit much to close off the Hall of African Mammals to try to further the illusion of everything being real), but there was one very specific reason you kept coming back.

The man they got to play Ahkmenrah was extremely cute. You constantly hoped to run into him somewhere outside of the museum, but you never did. Though, New York is a big place. You've never seen anyone from the museum outside of the building.

You found a day to pull your friend to the museum to finally show her what you've been talking about.

"See, isn't he cute?" you asked your friend quietly.

Your friend nodded appreciatively. "I can see why you like him. Go talk to him," she said.

"What? No!" you protested, too embarrassed.

"If you don't, you'll never shut up about him," your friend pointed out. "Go talk to him. If he likes you, too, great for you! If he turns you down, I'll buy you a pint of ice-cream."

"Okay, fine," you said, walking up to Ahkmenrah.

"Oh, hello, I see you a lot around here," Ahkmenrah greeted with a kind, charming smile. "Do you have any questions about the exhibits or Egypt?"

"Oh, uh, no exactly," you replied nervously. You glanced around. Nobody was waiting to talk to him. "I would kinda like to get to know you. Would it be okay to give you my number? It's totally okay to say yes and just throw it away or something."

Ahkmenrah briefly had a look akin to a deer stuck in headlights. "Oh, uh, I don't think I'm the kind of guy you're expecting," he said nervously.

You were slightly confused, but mostly disappointed. "What do you mean, exactly?" you asked curiously, expecting to be told he's gay.

However, while Ahkmenrah was fighting to figure out a reply, the actor they had for Teddy Roosevelt rode his horse right up next to the two of you, startling Ahkmenrah.

"Go for it, boy!" he encouraged the Egyptian. He leaned in close, and you thought you heard something about "an advantage you have over the rest of us." He then pulled himself back upright in the saddle. "Just give me the word, and I'll clear it with Larry for her to stay after the night exhibit closes."

Ahkmenrah thought a moment, before nodding. "Alright. I'll give this a shot," he replied. He turned to you. "And what's your name?"

"Y/N," you replied. "And yours?"

"Ahkmenrah," he replied with a small smirk.

"Oh come on, there's no kids in earshot that you'll spoil the magic for," you encouraged.

"All will be explained later," Ahkmenrah stated with a wink.

...

Upon learning of your plans later that night, your friend bid you farewell (with a promise to call her if you need a ride), and you decided to look around the museum a little longer, letting the actors do their jobs. Once it was nearing closing time for the night exhibit, you found Larry.

"So, you're the one with the crush on Ahkmenrah, huh?" Larry asked as he closed up the museum.

You blushed a little. "Yeah, that would be me," you said, following him. "You're still calling him by his character name."

"Yep," Larry said with a nod. he led you into the main lobby, where Ahkmenrah was waiting, along with Teddy and Sacajawea. "Hey, Teddy, ready for the explanation?"

"Sure thing, Lawrence!" Teddy replied, before stepping up to you.

"Explanation?" you asked, looking extremely confused.

"This museum isn't exactly what it seems," Teddy stated. He held out his hand. "Feel my skin."

You hesitated, before touching the back of his hand. It felt slimy, almost like wax. You jerked your hand back. "What's on your hand?" you asked.

"My hand is actually made of wax. I'm made of wax," Teddy stated. "I'm not an actor playing Teddy, I'm the wax figure of Teddy Roosevelt come to life. Sacajawea there is the same, except plastic."

"It's true," Sacajawea said, tapping the back of her hand with her other hand. You heard the distinctive sound of plastic hitting plastic.

"Okay, this is hard to believe," you commented, putting your head in your hands. Though, as you looked down, you saw two tiny men.

"Believe it, girl!" the blond one shouted up to you.

"I assure you there are no tricks here," the one dressed in Roman armor added.

Well, talking, tiny men were hard to argue with. You looked over to Ahkmenrah. "So, this is what you meant when you said you weren't what I was expecting?" you asked.

Ahkmenrah nodded. "I didn't know how you would take all this," he said, gesturing to the people around him.

"So, what are you made of?" you asked, stepping closer. "That's not bad to ask, is it?"

Ahkmenrah gave a smile. "Not at all," he replied. "We were just getting to that in fact. I'm flesh and bone." He held out his hand sideways for you to feel.

You reached out to touch his hand, gliding your fingers over his palm first, before closing your fingers around his hand, holding it. His skin sure enough felt like human skin, and you could feel his body heat coming from it.

"So, why were you so hesitant?" you asked.

"Because I'm still an exhibit. During the day I'm skin and bone and nothing else. A mummy if you want to be exact," Ahkmenrah explained. "So, you can only talk to me during the night, and I can't really leave the museum unless I'm extremely careful about it." He looked more and more bashful as he spoke. It was really cute. He brought his other hand up to cup the back of your hand that was still holding onto his. "I can understand if this is too much."

You were a little overwhelmed, but it was nothing you couldn't handle. "I bet it's been forever since someone has done this," you commented, using your free hand to set on Ahkmenrah's shoulder, holding him in place as you leaned up to kiss him. Ahkmenrah seemed surprised at first, but soon relaxed into the kiss.

Author: marvellousimagines