Professional Daydreams

✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾

"Good evening Miss Y/N." The museum's curator said, extending his hand out to you.

"Good evening Dr. McPhee." You smiled big, taking his hand.

"Very pleased to finally meet you, this way please." He motioned for you to follow him. "You came highly recommended. And I am very happy you decided to join our staff."

"Thank you, sir. As am I."

Dr. McPhee led you through the museum. Meticulously explaining each exhibit to you and how it may need your attention. After, he presented to you, your office. It was across the hall from his. Smaller but lovely furnished.

"I hope this suits your needs Miss Y/N."

"Yes, it does. Thank you." You said admiring the room.

"If you need anything else, please let me know." He moved toward the door. "I trust you will be fine here, on your first night."

"Yes, sir. I am sure I will be fine."

"Good then, enjoy the evening." He began to walk out, then stopped. "I must say I am thoroughly delighted to have someone here to help me. Keeping an eye on things, and the staff. Especially since we decided to extend our visiting hours."

"I completely understand sir."

Once Dr. McPhee left your office you took the opportunity to thoroughly inspect the decor. The furniture was high-end and looked tailor-made. Every piece was hardwood and conventional. The fabrics, all color coordinated in muted natural hues. The bookshelf contained row after row of neatly lined books, spines facing out. Combined with a few expensive artifacts no longer on display inside the museum. In front of the bookshelves sat a dignified but bare mahogany desk. You pulled out the chair behind the desk. The soft leather smelled new, pleasant.

"Um, hello there. Y/N is it?" A dark haired-night guard asked, gently rapping on the door frame.

"Yes?"

"Hi, I'm Larry. The night guard. I just wanted to say hi before we got started here. So, hi."

"Hello, Larry. What time does everything start around here?" You asked him.

Larry looked out the window instead of his watch, which you thought was strange. The sun was setting. "Any minute now." He smiled.

"Alright." You said hesitantly.

Noise, mostly chattering voices, echoed down into your hallway. Larry clapped his hands together. "Ok, cool. We are good to go now. Come on, let me introduce you to everybody."

You accompanied Larry into the museum's lobby. Dr. McPhee was correct; the new animatronics were incredible. You walked around taking note of all the costumes and props. Every piece of attire was one hundred per-cent authentic. Even down to the smallest detail. Exhibit after exhibit, you introduced yourself. Finding it endearing no one gave you their 'real' names. Attila was Attila. Sacagawea, the same. Even the Neanderthals refused to break character. You stood behind the main lobby desk and took a moment to survey the room. The constant flow of people at the Egyptian exhibit piqued your curiosity. So, you decided to assess the Egyptian pharaoh next.