Winter Joy

"But I was born way back, before this tradition even started. Why are we doing this again –"

"And I was born over a thousand years after it started, let's just enjoy it. I know most people in this institution won't understand what Christmas is about, but that is okay. It's winter, the happiest time of the year, and it's finally snowing outside. Let's appreciate it."

You tucked a stray of hair behind your ear and continued decorating the biggest Christmas tree you have seen in a really long time. Your boyfriend helped along by passing some of the ornaments out of the box. Most of them didn't match and were old as the museum itself but nobody cared, the joy is what's important.

Around seven months ago you started working in this Museum of national history of New York, where you've met your really old boyfriend. The relationship you two had was odd, but special. It started off with you innocently helping him wrap the linen sheets around his body before he would go to the state of the dead mummified body. Luckily you have worked with some of the most understanding people in the World that accepted you two constantly looking at each other and snuggling in blankets behind Ahkmenrah's sarcophagus. But this holiday was meant for every single person, animal and object in this building. From the little tiny people such as Jed and Octavious to the strong and brave ex president of United States Theodore.

"You are pretty much right. I mean all of you have respected me screaming when each summer begins and begging you all to bring me food to offer to the gods..." He said with a little chuckle before holding your waist carefully and helping you come back down from the old wooden staircase. Though it was already three am, everyone else that doesn't live outside the museum considered this night very young; it was time for everyone that understand English to gather around in the main hall and patiently wait for Larry to turn on the projector, so all of us can watch some festive films.

The young pharaoh and you settled in front of the informational counter and snuggled up in two blankets. And not so long after you had already felt yourself getting extremely sleepy. But no, this was one of the rare nights to spend with your boyfriend because you had a really busy job here.

He noticed, extending the hand that wasn't wrapped around your waist to stroke your hair carefully. "I know you work hard and you do a lot when Ra is up, so sleep, you know I don't mind." You shook your head stubbornly before leaning your head on your boyfriend's shoulder. "I would really like to stay awake. I want to spend so much time with you. Though we really have a lifetime, we don't have the time together." With a sad response you cached Ahk's hand and laced your fingers with his.

xmasxmasxmasxams

For several hours later, without even noticing, you took a nap. Thankfully in the winter time the sun comes up a lot later. Or as Ahkmenrah says; Ra gets lazy when it's cold. You had woken up in the back room slash office of the museum, someone must have brought you here once the movies finished. As you were able to hear some festive music coming from the hallways you guessed everyone was still awake and celebrating – besides you. Once you've stretched your arms high to realise the tension in your body, you stood up and took the water bottle from your bag. As you sipped some of the cold liquid to refresh your throat from the heating system in the building, you proceeded to exit the room and enter the main hall.

You then saw your boyfriend at the DJ desk, trying to make sense out of the old festive records all of the employees have gathered. Thankfully Larry's son Nick came to help out. God what would we do without that rebellious disco boy.

"I know you wanted to spend a lot of time with us, but it does get difficult to stay awake doesn't it?" Your good friend Sacagawea patting your shoulder and then giving you a really warm hug. "Well yeah it does get a bit tough, I want to spend this holiday with everyone, and especially well you know who. But – " you finished with a low sigh. "Guessing not every Christmas gets to be extremely special."

"Hey sweetie, listen to me. Think of it this way, all of are actually together, in the same room. Some people don't even get to have that. Let's just enjoy this?"

She had a really good point. Isn't that was Christmas is about? The joy of giving, being grateful for having someone by your side. "When I look at it that way." You said and turned your head around to look at your boyfriend. "I wouldn't wish for anything more." He noticed and waved at you. Motioning you to join him up stair at the desk. So step by step you made your way towards him, and finally hugging him once you made the final step.

"Have you rested well?" he asked placing his big arms around your waist and placing a small chaste kiss on your forehead.

"I have rested well, it was nice. Though I must admit, I would rather wake up by your side..."

"Now we can arrange that." He said with a cheeky smile on his face before sending you a wink. Which made Nick turn around so he wouldn't face us anymore. Looking at his dad down stairs and showing a disgusted face.

You giggled before placing your hand on his cheek, gently caressing it. "I am so happy I get to spend this Christmas with you. And it's so silly it took me so long that everything I wanted this year, I already have."

"Now let me just say... that without my people developing calendars you wouldn't know when to celebrate the birth of Christ so, I had this under my sleeve long time ago." This made you chuckle then hit his shoulder playfully. "You cheeky man. Maybe that is true, all of the things that had happened in the world, had brought us to this moment."

"And if my knowledge of this holiday is correct. When someone is under mistletoe they are supposed to kiss... there is one above us right now."

The pharaoh smiled once you nodded in response and placed a soft kiss on your lips. Making others turn around and look at us since he had forgotten to switch records.

Author: malek-rami