You Will Never Leave My Arms Again

✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾

Stale air filled your lungs. Your fingers twitched. Your heart began to beat faster and faster causing the blood to flow through your veins. The sound of your bones creaking echoed in your ears. You groaned as life slowly began to creep back into your body. You stretched, trying to calm the muscle spasms. Light stung your eyes as you tried to open them.

Why is there light? There should not be any light.

Your body didn't feel right. Something was wrong. You started to push your sarcophagus open. The lid would not budge. You pushed harder. Nothing. When you tried to bend your legs to aid in pushing, that's when you realized you were upright.

No, no. That's wrong. Why am I not lying down?

You ripped your bandages from your eyes in a blind panic, scratching your face. You were upright, standing in a glass box. The light was so bright it brought tears to your eyes. The room was huge. You couldn't tell where you were. It was not the temple of Merenkahre. You spun around in your glass coffin. Pushing against the walls trying to break free. Slamming your hands and beating your fists in terror and confusion. Tears were flowing down your cheeks. You glanced to your right and that's when you noticed you were not the only one encased in a glass tomb. Your chest was heaving, taking in ragged, hysterical breaths.

What was all this? Am I punished? What happened?

Your mind raced with all sorts of terrifying scenarios. Were you sold for displeasing the pharaoh? Or captured and put on display for some foreign king's sick pleasure. Or worse, punished by the Gods.

"Please! Help me! Please!" You screamed until your voice was hoarse. Sobbing, you slid down the wall, collapsing in despair. "No, please. No."

Soon after, you heard muffled shouting. You looked up and saw, HIM. Ahkmenrah was here.

Thank the Gods.

Your heart raced as you struggled to stand. He walked toward you, accompanied by the strangest people you had ever seen. Ahkmenrah walked between the glass cases, not looking at any of them. He seemed lost in a trance, staring straight ahead at his parents sarcophaguses. King Merenkahre and Queen Shepseheret appeared from behind a great wall and ran to their son. Strange you thought. They embraced as if they had not seen one another in a long time. Enamored by the mere presence of Ahkmenrah, for a moment you forgot about your crisis. He seemed agitated. He was carrying that tablet with him. The one that used to hang on the wall of the temple. You couldn't be sure but you thought they were arguing. Then something happened. Ahkmenrah seemed to weaken, almost faint. His father's face fell. He looked to the strange man with the short dark hair and handed him the tablet. Then they all ran off, leaving you and your fellow mummified priests and priestesses alone and forgotten.

King Merenkahre and Queen Shepseheret returned shortly after. It was then they noticed you and the others, trapped. The queen ran over to your glass case. Her face full of distress. She tried to pull apart the case, struggling with the lock. She looked at you, shaking her head in defeat. You glanced over at the king, his eyes pouring over all his trapped subject. They seemed shaken, terrified even. Something was wrong with Ahkmenrah and those other people with him. An hour of so had passed, although to you it seemed like centuries. Ahkmenrah had returned, healthy and full of life. The king and queen embraced their son. Ahkmenrah turned and spoke to those other people, he seemed sad. As those people left, they walked between the glass cases. Ahkmenrah watched them leave with tears in his eyes. As they passed you, that's when Ahkmenrah finally noticed you. He ran over to you, placing his hands on the glass. His eyes wide with shock. He mouthed your name. You placed your hands against his.