The Maid

You were four years old when the Egyptian army conquered your home. You, your mother and your sisters were taken to Merenkahre's palace to serve as maids. You don't remember much from your life before being taken since you were so young then.
Your mother was assigned to serve Shepseheret, the pharaoh's wife. The queen liked her but she died three years after you got there. You were seven by then, old enough to start learning about serving the royal family. The woman assigned to train you was a very harsh woman with little empathy. Your sisters were eventually gifted to noblemen by the king so it was just you left. When you were fifteen years old you were assigned to be the princes', Ahkmenrah's and Kahmunrah's personal maid.
It was far too much work for one person but your supervisor didn't really care. You had to wash their clothes, clean both of their chambers every week, take their breakfast to bed if they decided not to join their family at the tables and complete other tasks given to you by them.
Ahkmenrah was always nice to you, though he rarely spoke to you and when he did he just gave you tasks. But he always asked nicely, unlike his brother who would give you harsh orders and make nasty comments.
Currently, you were cleaning Kahmunrah's chambers when he and his brother entered the room. It was odd seeing them together, especially in private. The policy was not to speak to the royal family unless you're spoken to so you just redirected your gaze to the tiles you were cleaning.
You were about to finish cleaning the floor when Kahmunrah spilled his wine all over the white and blue tiles. Your jaw almost dropped, but you stopped it in time. You took a deep breath and wandered over to them to clean up the mess. The older prince chuckled at his "prank" and continued his conversation with his brother. When you were finished you stood up and bowed. You were about to leave the chambers when Kahmunrah's annoying voice cut through the air.

"Not so fast, sweet cheeks! Bring in some more wine!"
"Yes, sir.", you nodded politely and exited the room.

Before you could close the door you would have sworn that you actually heard Ahkmenrah saying "You shouldn't talk to a lady that way!"

...

A few months later Merenkahre died. When the princes found out that he made Ahkmenrah his legal heir Kahmunrah was furious. He broke nearly everything in his chambers that you were left in charge to clean up. Since the pharaoh had his very own chamber maid another girl was assigned to Ahkmenrah. It was like that for a week when requested you to be his maid again and gave the new girl to his brother who became even more irritable since he was stripped of his throne.
One day you were cleaning Ahkmenrah's room while he was sitting on his balcony, looking at his kingdom. You were surprised when you heard him calling your name. You hurried to stand by his side.

"You called, pharaoh?", you asked while bowing.
"Yes, (Y/N). Tell me, isn't it a pretty sight to behold?", he asked.

You assumed he was still looking at the landscape before him but actually he had his eyes on you. You nodded and muttered and awestruck yes. He smirked, gently taking your hand in his. You flinched at the unexpected contract.

"I was looking at you, my love.", he smiled.
"Oh.", you looked down, "I... I don't know what to say."
"I was in love with you ever since you were assigned to be my maid when you were fifteen and I was seventeen. I want you to be my queen."
"But I'm only a maid."
"You don't have to be anymore."

He took you into his arms, kissing you deeply. He made love to you for the first time that night. You were supposed to announce your plan to marry the following week but you never got to do that. He died the following night, of suspected poisoning. As it was customary five of his servants were killed and buried with him, you among them.

...

Ahkmenrah had a lot of friends in the museum but he still couldn't forget you, the love of his life. The most vivid memory he had from the time he was alive were the ones about you. He was lonely, even when he had all his friends with him. For a while, he felt like they were trying to hide something from him. One night, when he awoke the museum was surprisingly quiet. He walked to the main hall where most on his friends usually were. Sacajawea, Teddy, Larry and Nicky were already waiting for him.

"We have a surprise for you!", the young boy said.
"An archeologist found another mummy in your tomb, on a lower level of it. She was brought here today and she's still in the storage room.", Larry said.

His eyes lit up as he practically ran to the storage room. He saw a sarcophagus in the middle of the room. It was clearly a servant's and there was clearly a woman inside it, based on the voices. He took out the piece that held it in place, then the lid flew off. His heart fluttered at the sight of you. Frightened (e/c) eyes were looking into his green ones.

"Ahk?", you whispered.
"It's me, my love.", he pulled you into his arms, spinning you around.

He held you close to him, kissing you deeply. You only pulled away when you heard the residents of the museum clapping for you two.

Author: readerinsertimagines