Treasure

Your uncle had offered to let you tag along to his night job; “We’ll order Chinese, you can walk around, then we’ll get breakfast in the morning.”

 Reluctantly, you agreed; never able to step foot in the British museum of Natural History, you were always busy with schoolwork, so this would be one of the few chances you had until you graduated. 

Taking a seat at the help desk, before the Triceratops skeleton, you cracked open your latest novel. The sun began to set and shined directly in your eyes as you flipped to your latest page. 

An eerie feeling fell through the museum as the sun finally ducked away and the sky went dark and as by magic, you noticed the dinosaur’s tail move in a slow wag, and it took a huge step from its pedestal. 

“What the hell?” You slowly stood up as you shut your book and placed it on the counter.  The dinosaur slowly turned to you then huffed as if it were alive. 

You began to back away with your hands up in defeat as it beckoned forward; you turned and began to run down the main corridor as the moving bag of bones trampled after you. 

Figures from exhibits lined the hallway and watched in awe as you continued and turned down another long corridor. Curiosity wanted you to slow down and admire the magic that was taking place in the museum but you weren’t exactly ready to stop and get kabob-ed by a dead skeleton. 

You ducked into the ancient Egypt exhibit and cowered behind a plaster pillar that was part of the display to make the room look like a tomb.  

The sarcophagi displayed in the middle of the room shook menacingly until they opened and three heavily garbed Egyptians, cloaked in gold and a beautiful array of colors detailed their wear, rose from them. 

Each of them took in a few deep breaths before the young man towards your side of the exhibit looked towards the entrance and saw the triceratops waiting in anticipation. 

He raised a hand to the dinosaur, and it bowed to his feet like an eager puppy. 

“What the hell?” You whispered again as you inched forward; your shoulder bumped against the pillar and you winced, loudly. 

Embarrassed, you slowly raised your head to the young man standing before you, peering down at you curiously. His head tilted slightly as his lips curled into a smile. 

He held his hand out his hand and you kindly took it. 

“Who might you be?” He asked as you slowly rose to your feet. 

The other man asked who this girl was, the woman asked what you were doing. The triceratops stuck its pointed snout in and the young man waved them all away. 

“I-I’m (Y/N).” You began as you peered into the Egyptian’s eyes, attempting not to notice his glorious garb, “I’m the security guard’s niece.” 

His teeth were pearly white against his beautiful tan skin, his golden collar and sun dyed cape could barely compare to his own allure. 

He nodded at you then spoke again, “I am Prince Ahkmenrah, the Fourth king of the Fourth king. This is my father, Merenkahre, and my mother, Shepseheret.

He looked at you as if he had found something entirely special and you looked the same at him. What held you two together was an intimate connection through few words. 

Ahkmenrah slowly brought your hand to his lips and gingerly pecked it, “I may gilded with gold but you are a treasure.” 

You stifled a giggle and covered your mouth with the tips of your fingers, “Is that you’re default pick-up line?” 

He shrugged, “I believe it tends to work on most security guards’ nieces.”

Author: ignoredthecall-causeyougrewup