My Best Friend

You changed into your uniform with a sigh. You loved your job, but everyone had those days where you just didn't feel like doing anything. And unfortunately for you, this was one of those days.

"Hey, Y/N!" You heard someone call. You closed your locker and turned around. Your mood brightened immediately when you saw your long-time friend approach you.

"Hey, Larry," You said while you hooked your flashlight onto your belt. "What's up?"

"What do you mean, 'what's up'? I can't talk to one of my best friends without an ulterior motive?"

"Well sure you can, but you have that look on your face." You raised your eyebrow. He tried to come up with a successful counter argument, but failed.

"Okay, fine. Can you handle the Hall of Miniatures? I took their plane away and now they won't stop trying to tie me up." You laughed.

"Fine." He grinned. "But I'm not going to clean up after you forever, you know."

"Yeah I got it." Shaking your head, you made your way to the Hall of Miniatures. While the Western and Roman dioramas were happy to see you, the Aztecs were still a little bitter towards you and Larry. You sat down at the front desk and began to pick the tiny arrows out of your hair and palms.

"So I take it your night hasn't been going so well?" You looked up at Ahkmenrah as he pulled another chair over and sat down next to you.

"Hey, Ahk." You turned back to your stinging palms. "I forgot the hockey gear so no; it's not off to a great start." He laughed as you pulled another needle out of your hand. You hissed in pain. Ahkmenrah's smile faded.

"Here." He grabbed your hand and began to help you remove the arrows. "Are there any more?"

"I don't think so. Are there any in my hair?" He looked over your head.

"I think so. If you turn around I can help you get them out."

"That'd be great, thanks." You spun in your chair so your back was facing the Pharaoh. He gently began to comb through your hair, picking out arrows as he came across them.

"You have lovely hair, Y/N."

"Thanks. I think the arrows add a nice touch." He laughed as he pulled out the last arrow. You pushed the arrows off the counter and into your hand. You stood up. "I'll be right back."

"Where are you going?"

"I'm just going to put these in the office. I'll be two minutes tops." He nodded and you walked away. You opened the door to the office and dropped the arrows into a small glass bowl filled with similar weapons.

"Y/N?"

"In the office!" You replied over your shoulder as you pulled out a few Band-Aids.

"I just wanted to say thanks for dealing with the Aztecs—What happened to you?" Larry gasped when he saw your hands.

"I forgot the hockey gear," You shrugged. He came over to you and took the Band-Aids from your hand. Before you could protest, he took your hand and began to gently wrap the Band-Aids around your fingers.

"Sorry about that."

"Don't be. I was being stupid."

"No. I should've been able to suck it up and do my job."

"Hey." You looked at him sharply. "It's my job too." He sighed after a moment.

"I guess you're right. But I still don't want you getting hurt." He dropped your hands and you threw out the wrappers.