Chapter Five: I've Got You

CHAPTER 5: I've Got You.

"Oh I'm in pieces, it's tearing me up, but I know
A heart that's broke is a heart that's been loved."
- Ed Sheeran.

We leave the wedding as soon as we can. My eyes again flicker to mum from the passenger seat to check if her silent tears are flowing or no. But she just keeps driving her eyes permanently glued upfront. To be honest her silence is more killing than her sobs when she breaks down.

Emma is constantly crying from the minute we left. Poor girl, she wanted to dance for some more time and also wanted to taste the deserts. By tasting she means eating them as her dinner. Will blankly stares out of the window and times like this make me realize that his annoying banter is always better than his silent treatment.

How do I get my family together again? Everytime we see Dad again the house goes silent for almost two days. Mum's whimpers don't go unheard and I do notice Will's absence during dinners. This can't go on forever.

I myself stare out of the window, my eyes prickling with fresh tears. I hate myself for missing him; wishing for everything to be like how it was before.

We pull in our driveway and I walk to unlock the door. As soon as the door clicks open Will rushes inside faster than lightning and I hear his bedroom door slam shut.

Mum carries Emma in her arms and I walk slowly to my room to change out of the long dress. The day was going perfectly fine before he decided to show up.

After changing into some comfortable clothes I plop on my bed with my leather Journal to write about everything that's been happening lately.

Dear Diary,

I write about everything, moving into our new house, meeting the triplets , Luke, I don't know why I smile when I write about him but I do.
I write about the wedding, Damon and the flowers, our dance and finally about Elvis.

I keep writing until my hands ache and I freeze when I hear a similar whimper.

Oh God! Not again!

I rush downstairs to see mum on the couch her face hid behind her hands.

"Mum?" I croak out.

She slowly unhides her face and I feel something break within me when I see how crestfallen her face looks. Her eyes were red and sore, cheeks tainted with wiped tears, her hair not in their former beauty.

I take a seat beside her and slowly guide her head to my shoulder as she softly sobs.

"I tried Ellen. I really did. I tried to be strong, I tried not to let his presence faze me but I failed. How can he do this Ella? I'm failing at everything. I failed to be a good wife, I failed to protect you from him, I failed to be a strong woman and now I'm eventually going to fail to be a good single mother." Her voice breaks in the end and I look up at the ceiling and swallow my tears.

"No mom ..Shh..you're doing great, look where you brought us, you brought us out from that old house away from the person who did nothing but hurt us. You are a strong independent woman mom. I know you are." My voice drops down to a whisper as I feel those warm tears freely falling from my eyes.