Chapter Twelve: On Top Of The World

CHAPTER 12: On Top Of The World.

"Starry eyes sparkin' up my darkest night."
- Taylor Swift.

My alarm keeps snoozing beside me and I groan loudly patting my bedstand until I hit the damn button. What a pain. I sit upright and peek at the time. What in the world? 4.45 am?
Who in the right mind gets up at such an ungodly hour? Wait a second.

Lucas Alexander James.

I spring up from my bed and get ready like a recharged toy, grabbing a loose sweatshirt and putting on my pants. After securing my hair in a decent ponytail I look in the mirror to check if I don't look like I'm walking dead.

Decent.

I quietly tiptoe around the house and step out into the cool morning. It was still dark outside for God's sake but I could hear the birds chirping around.
I make my way towards the house I'm spending way too much time in and the front door clicks open just when I come into it's line of vision.

Luke quietly closes the door, freezing when he sees me behind him.

"Jesus Christ!" He jumps a bit and mutters keeping a hand on his chest and I grin like a Cheshire at him.

"Sorry." I murmur, my eyes sweeping over him. What did I expect? Of course he's gonna look good in the morning too. He had a bottle in his right hand and his headphones tangled around his neck.

"I didn't think you could make it." He confesses sheepishly and I shoot him an offended look.

"So little faith." I draw my lips down in a frown and he rolls his eyes while walking towards me to the sidewalk.

"Come on now." He starts running and I run behind him to keep up with his long legs.

"It's still so early Luke." I groan and he just replies with a lopsided grin.

Both the sides of the road were covered with tall trees blurring past as we passed them. He was trying to run slower for me and we were actually doing pretty good running side by side. The sun was slowly rising from the skyline, the cold breeze blowing making me shiver in delight. I don't the know the last time I had such good time with nature.

We were now passing small quiet houses, the cars parked still in the driveway, some porch lights still on. It was good to start the day earlier than most people. When we pass a small house Luke chuckles under his breath and I give him an amused side glance.

"What? What is it?"

He stops and points towards a house, worn out and old. The once strong house was now withering slightly, the rooftop crumbling sadly, there was an old porch swing too, the bricks were eroded washed off of all the colours. The backyard was splattered with dry leaves and there was a little picket fence that could break with one push. I give him a confused look and he explains.

"There's a story behind it. Nothing funny, just we all went through it." He grins reminiscing on the memory.

"How good are you at telling stories? " I ask raising my brow and he sighs.

"I have three stubborn brothers Ellie, what do you think?"

A picture of Luke sitting on the edge of a small bed with a children's story book, narrating it to three little kids watching him with bright eyes flash through my mind, making me laugh out loud.