Chapter Twenty Two: Batman Ain't A Real Bat

CHAPTER 22: Batman Ain't A Real Bat.

"There'll always be sunshine when I look at you
Something I can't explain, just the things that you do."
-Heatwave.

The first thought that pops in my mind as soon as my eyes snap open is that I'm someone's girlfriend. And not just someone.

Damon McCartney.

I sit up quickly and smile for no reason. The memories of last night float in my head as I hum and get ready. Mum shoots me a puzzled look whereas Will gives me an all too knowing smile. I just kiss Emma and eat my breakfast quietly, a smile stuck on my face.

My phone buzzes and I flick it open to see Luke's message.

Lukey: It's beautiful outside. Want to take a walk to school instead of taking the car?

Oh yes. Last night it rained. Quite a suprise actually. But it didn't let up until the early hours of dawn as mum said. I scrunch my nose up while I type a reply without mum knowing I'm doing so.

Me: Seriously? Won't everything be.. I don't know? WET???

Lukey: Glad you agree. Meet me out in five.

Me: I hate you so much.

I groan and shove my food in my mouth at the same time.

"Ellen!"

"Sorry mum. Luke's already outside. I gotta go." I grab my bag kissing her goodbye and ruffle Will's hair as I pass him.

Just as I climb down the last step of my porch Luke' waves me over with an annoying grin.

"Isn't it beautiful out here?" He smiles pushing his hair back as a light wind blows against us.

I look around to the partly wet and partly dry sidewalks. There was a slight refreshing chill around us, the trees looking lush after the brief shower of last night.

I grunt a reply and start to walk. He chuckles catching upto me. He offers to carry my bag but I just give him a look that would make every feminist proud.

We walk in amiable silence for some time before he breaks it with his soft question.

"How did your date go?"

An involuntary smile creeps on my face and he nods.

"I take that as a 'Yes-it-was-the-best-date-ever?'"

I nod grinning. "It was really good. We went to this really nice place for dinner then he took me to a park and we danced there under the trees. We saw this really pretty lake and he told me how beautiful I looked and --" I stop abruptly when he keeps looking at me.

"What?"

He tucks a strand behind my ear. "Well he was right when he said you looked beautiful. Only that you look beautiful everyday."

I suck in a small breath looking away and he clears his throat drawing his hand back awkwardly.

"Um.. he asked me to be his girlfriend." I say quietly kicking an invisible pebble.