Chapter Twenty Three: Spare Me The Sordid Details

CHAPTER 23: Spare Me The Sordid Details.

"Hand over heart, I'm praying
That I'm gonna make it out alive."
-Selena Gomez.

Sweat trickled down from my temple to my chin and down to the ground as we did our drills. I could feel my shirt stick to my chest and hot waves roll off me as my breaths came out in spurts.

Coach took practices too seriously.

If you are training for the Olympics or for a small one on one match, you put your same 150% efforts, he had said at the beginning.

I didn't think he would take it that seriously.

Others seemed to be used to this brutal workout but it had been a few weeks I worked my body this hard and surely I could feel it taking it's toll on me. But I tried not to falter, I did not want to give Coach a reason to regret taking me in even after losing the match. So I went through it, until finally it wasn't only me who collapsed.

It was drizzling outside but it didn't bother Coach, instead he moved us inside. The cheerleaders were there and I watched Charlotte, the girl who always hovered over Luke, perfectly move her hips and hands and legs. She was like a bubblegum, she could stretch for miles, metaphorically of course. I hated to admit to myself but she was really good.

"Acceptable." Coach nods his eyes sweeping over all of us before he leaves. My mouth falls open and I splutter incomprehensible words in disbelief. Miley only smiles tiredly and pats my head like a child.

"Welcome to our world."

I sigh trying to stand up despite my strained muscles. Luke better not have left me here alone. Just then a hand stretches towards me and I crane my neck up to look at it's owner.

Smiling hazel eyes greet me in response and I could feel my fatigue slip away slowly.

"Luke. Oh. Bless you!" I cry taking his hand. He effortlessly lifts me up and grins.

"Heavy practice?" He takes my bag from me despite me pulling it.

"Very. Where's Damon?" I ask frowning.

"He had to go pick up Sienna. He said he'll call you." He answers walking ahead of me.

"Ah. Wait for me. I can't walk so fast after that."

"After what?" He asks raising a brow suggestively, his eyes gleaming.

"Perv." I narrow my eyes, lips betraying me as they lift at the corners.

We walk to my locker and I decide to take a shower at home instead of here. Luke relentlessly teases about me stinking and smelling like a soggy sock. We carry our goofy banter until a throat clears behind us. I turn first and I want to bang my head to the nearest wall at what I see.

Who to be specific.

"Hello Charlotte." I smile sweetly and her eyes flicker between me and Luke with disdain.

"I guess you don't take first warnings too well." She tilts her head superciliously and her goons smirk at me as they stand like an army around her. There still are a few students in the hallways, murmurs breaking through almost immediately.