Chapter Forty Seven: Enjoy While It Lasts

CHAPTER 47: Enjoy While It Lasts.

"When I hold you in my arms
I know that it's forever
I just gotta let you know
I never want to let you go."
-Jonas Brothers.

"I'm being a Debbie Downer aren't I? This isn't how I planned today to go." Luke chokes out a forced laugh but I shake my head with a frown.

"No you're not. You said you wanted to show how you feel about me. And by sharing these little snippets of your life, you're doing just that. These flower crowns and flower fields aren't more beautiful than your vulnerability. You're beautiful to me when you're like this."

He stares at me in disbelief and trails his fingers down my cheek and settles them on my neck. "You're so perfect. You know that?"

"Eh I think I have an idea." I giggle and he gives me a genuine smile in return. The moment is broken by my growling stomach and I clutch it embarrassed with a sheepish smile.

"Looks like we've got to get food in there." he winks and jumps down swiftly.

"Lucas!" I yell and he places his hands on his hips and turns the baseball cap so he's wearing it backwards before squinting his eyes up at me.

Geez he just keeps looking better and better.

"How am I supposed to get down?" I groan and swallow nervously. Great, I should have thought this before following him blindly. Now I'm going to die while he lives.

"Ellie just jump. Come on, you're a basketball player, you're supposed to be used to this." he encourages me but I shake my head in denial.

"T-this is different. Here, I have a possibility of dying!" I scream terrified.

"You're not going to die. Stop being ridiculous and jump." he rolls his eyes and motions me with his arms to come down.

"Luke.." I drawl cautiously. "I'm scared."

"I know baby. The sooner you jump the sooner it'll get over."

"This is your fault. You do something." I push the blame on him and he comes closer and spreads his arms.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"Jump and I'll catch you." he says.

"Huh what is this? A movie?" I yell with a scoff.

"Jump."

"No."

"Trust me."

"No."

"Please just trust me." he pleads and I look down helplessly. What other option do I have?

I swallow and he smiles reassuringly. "On the count of three Ellie."

"One."

"Two."

My heartbeat spikes.

"Three."