Chapter Twenty Five: Heaven And Earth

CHAPTER 25: Heaven And Earth.

"Well, real life can wait
  I’m crashing like waves
Playing in the sand
Holding your hand."
-Simple Plan.

It was warm and sunny on our beach day.

Living in Canada our holidays mainly consisted of playing ice hockey, building snow castles and staying inside the house tucked near the fireplace laughing over old photo albums and gushing over Mum and Dad's wedding pictures. Even during summer we hardly ventured out to explore beaches. The only time I remember spending time in the cool waves is when I used visit Ryan with Vanessa.

So not having a swimsuit to wear to a beach didn't come much of a surprise to me.

But the one-peice Mum bought home for me did.

Coral reef ring halter one piece swimsuit she called it.

The colourful backless peice of clothing held together by tying it around my pale neck did no wonders to my confidence.

Trust Mum to buy her daughter something that no mother will buy them willingly. I wish she would have just brought something hideous so I could have an exuse to stay in my safe denim shorts all day.

I inspect myself in the mirror of the small changing room the beach had and groan in protest when mum calls me outside. I glare at my reflection as if staring at it hard enough would magically turn the colourful piece of clothing into a swimwear that I would actually like.

"I don't want to come mum. I feel like I'm not wearing anything." I whine massaging the sunscreen on my ghastly pale skin.

"Nonsense. Just come outside love, when you see others you'll feel more comfortable."

"You go ahead with others. I'll catch up with you in a minute." I sigh gathering my long hair in a high ponytail.

"I'm sure you look absolutely gorgeous baby, stop being shy. I'll be with the kids. Come soon."

I just make a non committal sound in reply and once again let my eyes wander to my pale skin on display. Groaning in frustration I pull the door open and step outside in the warm salty breeze.

"Took you long en-- Oh." I hear a voice and my head snaps to the figure leaning on the nearest tree regarding me with his trained gaze.

Oh God Luke. Did he have to be the first person to see me in this?

He straightens up, lips parted as his eyes wander past mine to every crevice of my barely clad body. His cheeks flush and he looks away muttering something incomprehensible that I strain my ears to hear. I shift on my feet in discomfort and look down at the sand sticking to my feet feeling my body go warm as I feel his gaze once again linger on me.

"Wow you look good Ellie." Upon hearing his deep voice I slowly raise my eyes to meet his darkened ones as he rocked on the ball of his feet. However his eyes don't stay on mine too long, they quickly shift to everything but me.

Is he feeling awkward?

If I wasn't feeling the same I would have picked on his obvious embarrassment and made fun of him to no ends. But I slowly feel my insecurities and shyness slip away as his dark eyes once again regard me appreciatively.

"Think fast!" I hear a loud yell but before I can turn I'm lifted off of my feet and slung over a bare shoulder.

"William! You asshole, put me down." I flail my arms and hit his back but his merry chuckles are all I get in return. I only get a glimpse of the light brown sand before I'm surrounded by blue.