Chapter Forty Nine: Getting By

CHAPTER 49: Getting By

"And I miss the way you make me feel, it's real
We watched the sunset over the castle on the hill."
-Ed Sheeran

Reality has been nothing but a cold hard slap against the face. Coming home, I realized I had a big test for which I wasn't totally prepared for. Mum let me know that the divorce gets finalised the next week and then there will be nothing but us, connecting her to Dad. Then there was the away game Coach was relentlessly making us work for and missing practice on Monday was going to bring down his wrath on me. To top it off, the car ride with Luke today morning was only filled with The Semisonics blaring in the background.

I slam the locker shut with a grumble and then gasping out loud with fright, I stumble back and clutch my fast beating heart.

“Shit. I didn't mean to scare you.” Damon's blue eyes sparkle with humor, a broad grin spreading across his face as he stands there with a bunch of peonies and chocolate muffins.

My heart stutters at the sight and when he leans down to kiss me softly, I can't help but stand there frozen with a crushing guilt weighing me down.

“I missed you Flower Girl. How are you?” he murmurs as I take his generous gifts and carefully place them in the locker.

Just as I open my mouth to croak out a reply, his arms go around me in a tight hold as he kisses the top of my head. My throat runs dry as I stumble for a reply but he shuts me up with a deep kiss that feels familiar and foreign all at the same time. I'm left with a cold feeling when I pull back slightly and his brows furrow in confusion. To put him out, I throw on a big smile and tell him that I missed him back.

“Thank you for the flowers Damon they're lovely and the muffins too. Did you bake them for me?” he chuckles and slings my bag over his shoulder even though I protest and drapes his arm around me as he walks me to class.

“As much as I would have loved to babe, I can't bake to save my life. I can whip up a good lunch if you want to come over later.” he rubs his nose against my temple and I sigh helplessly.

“As much as I would have loved to babe,” I repeat his words and his chest rumbles with laughter, “I have practice.”

“Ah baskeball.” he nods and then his eyes light up. “You know we have an away game together with the same school? We stay there for three days. Friday is the basketball match and on the weekend, soccer. So technically both the teams will be traveling and living together.”

“Really?” I furrow my brows. This hasn't happened before. Interesting.

“It's gonna be so much fun. I'll be there to cheer for you and you'll be there to cheer for me.” he winks at me and I laugh out loud, attracting a few passer by's eyes on me.

“Sure. That's what I'm here for.”

“The team is going crazy with plans. At the rate they're going we are gonna end up losing. If Coach gets even a sniff of what they're planning he'll actually whip all our asses.” he shudders and we come to a stop outside my classroom.

I pat his chest with a grin. “Well then as a captain, it's your job to keep your team in check.”

He groans and pulls me closer by my hips to nuzzle noses. “I know right. I'm fucking stressed.”

“Take it easy. You don't have to shoulder all the responsibility, they're adults not a bunch of immature kids that need chaperoning.”

“But they are.” he complains and then smiles at me. “Thanks babe. It helps that you're here. I really missed you.” he pecks my lips and slides my bag down before handing it to me.