Chapter Thirty Six: Familiar

CHAPTER 36: Familiar.

"Somehow I found a way to get lost in you
Let me inside
Let me get close to you."
-Three Days Grace.

Curiosity.

Nothing good ever comes out of it. It's something that keeps you thinking, keeps the wheels in your head turning and building up so many different scenarios that you actually start questioning your sanity. Which won't be the first time for me to be honest. But curiosity is just a desperate urge to know things that probably aren't your business and it can only be quenched with answers that deem to satisfy you.

I had a million questions stacking up in my head.  I was drowning in the ‘Whys’. The biggest ‘why’ was however;

Why didn't he go visit his Dad?

He was sick yeah. But it's Lucas we're talking about. He'd rather die than being anything other than loyal. His loyalty is what makes his heart gold. He would never miss this day because of some little fever.

Then why?

What plausible reason can he possibly have to stay home?

I keep tapping the pencil on the desk earning some annoyed glances but they hardly deter me, except for a loud voice that makes me jump in my seat.

“Miss. Emmerson? This isn't some music concert and your desk aren't your drums. Stop with the tapping and pay attention!”

I shyly look down with warm cheeks when the class chuckles. Ugh.

“Sorry. Mrs. Patricks. I'll stop.” I murmur with a nod.

“Good. Now where were we?”

I zone out again and her droning is a distant hum in the classroom. I can't concentrate at all. Thankfully the class is dismissed and I dash out to get my books from the locker before the hallways crowd too much.

“Ella!” Miley suanters towards me with an easy smile on her lips and I weakly wave at her. Yeah last night consisted only of tossing and turning and no sleep.

“Coach wants to meet you before Lunch alright?”

I straighten up and my shoulders stiffen. She notices my nervous eyes and shakes her head before giving me a pat.

“Chill. He just wants to talk. We pretty much won cause of you so you have nothing to worry about. The coast's clear.”

I nod with a smile.

“Great throw by the way.” she smirks, mentioning Friday's match.

“Thank you.” I smile genuinely.

“See ya later. Gotta get to class.” she blows me a kiss and walks off with a natural bounce in her step.

I open my locker with a tired and long sigh, feeling as though I've aged a thousand years. I haven't seen him since Friday. After Marie told me, I left before he woke up cause knowing my history I probably would have acted like the queen of awkwardness. So yeah No!

It's Monday and both Luke and Damon are MIA. I call Damon but this time it doesn't even ring so I angrily shove it in the locker. Today is not going good. Plus I'm pretty sure I was going to have the crimson tide soon. Will likes to call it the Shark Week.

He's so dramatic.

What Coach must be wanting to discuss with me takes my attention off of Luke, and I keep wondering until I'm outside his door. I take a deep breath before I rap at the door thrice with my knuckles.