Chapter Fifty One: Good While It Lasted

CHAPTER 51: Good While It Lasted.

"And I don't wanna let this go
I don't wanna lose control
I just wanna see the stars with you."
-Troye Sivan

After falling asleep crying talking to Lily, next morning my eyes are puffy, there are pillow lines on my right cheek and my head is playing a concert involving a lot of drums. I so badly wanted to call mum and ask her to pick me up but I didn't want to bother her since we were leaving tonight anyway.

I also wanted to skip the soccer game, to avoid the two people I didn't want to see but I can't bring myself to do it. My heart hurts for Damon, he was already so stressed out and I added a ton more to it. I swallow nervously and shuffle my feet awkwardly as I stand out of the locker room, where the boys were changing. The other team was already warming up but ours were still yet to come out.

I step aside when the other boys pass by me, laughing and trash talking their rivals. I hold my breath and step in the shadows when Luke comes out, running a hand through his hair while the other typed on his phone. He doesn't look up but his cologne when he passes me makes me all kinds of dizzy.

Damon is the last to come out, brows furrowed and lips set in a hard line. He freezes when he sees me, my heart hammering inside my chest when our eyes meet.

“What're you doing here?” he softly asks, closing the distance between us.

“I wanted to wish you luck.” I mumble in reply, flashes of how he kissed me for the first time on the field returning. I was floating that day.

“Well. Thank you.” he shrugs staring at me in indifference.

My eyes prick with tears and I don't think twice before wrapping my arms around his waist. He stiffens but I hear his soft sigh before he hugs me back, burying his head in the crook of my neck, hands cradling my back.

“You're going to do great. I believe in you.” I stand on my tippy toes to peck his forehead making him close his eyes for a small second.

“Thank you. I-I needed that.” he breathes out playing with my hair.

“Come on man. Coach is waiting.” someone mutters but I don't have to turn to see it's him. Damon nods and shoots me a quick smile before following Luke who doesn't even spare me a glance. I shakily run a hand through my locks, feeling my chest tighten with unshed tears. Not the time or place Eleanor.

The game is a real struggle but the boys end up winning. I don't cheer like others, I don't run down the field to kiss my boyfriend, I watch how the cheer girls circle the boys, my eyes not straying from how Charlotte jumps on a clueless Luke wrapping her legs around his waist. Damon rubs his neck and talks with a few girls, his eyes flicking up to me a few times. I wipe a small tear and walk away with my hands shoved in the pockets of my hoodie.

Miley doesn't try to talk to me in the room, she knows something's up so she just smiles and hugs me, quietly resuming packing up our things. This was supposed to be fun, but everything is messed up.

But I know what I have to do now. It'll be hard and difficult but letting go always is.

                 ————♡————

Next morning I get up later than usual. It's a Sunday, so I end up missing church but mum brings me breakfast to cheer me up. She suspects something is up but she's giving me my privacy even though I know how curious she is. I keep feeling she wants to say something but she doesn't. Will doesn't say much either, he seems down himself. Emma is off with the triplets to the park with Marie. The house is silent and cold, so I light a scented candle. Thanksgiving will be soon, and it's better if the house smells like it.