Chapter 1 - Bleary Eyed.

Florence woke up bleary eyed.

There was a loud knocking on the door. She shuffled to put her nightgown on and tied her hair up.

She nearly tripped over one of the cats. “Horatio get out of the way.” She mumbled.

Rubbing her eyes she opened the door. “Hello?”

Four police officers were standing there.

“Florence Heathcliff?” One asked.

“Yes?” She seemed a bit more alert.

“You are arrested on suspicion of murder.” Another stated whilst pulling out some handcuffs.

“What?” Florence was wide awake now.

“Earlier today Gavin McFadden was found dead in his cell. You were the last person to visit him, naturally you are a suspect.” The one with handcuffs said.

Florence tried to process this but she couldn’t. She remained calm.

“I’ve worked in the police; it makes me the prime suspect. If it concerns you, I’d like to firstly get ready and then I’ll plead my innocence.” She said.

They all looked at eachother and nodded to her.

As she was getting ready she heard Dan talking to the police, she went to greet him.

“Florence, what’s this about?” He asked.

“It’s probably nothing, or they caught me going through red lights. I’ll be back home soon maybe.” She said as if everything was fine.

“Why does it feel like you’re lying?” He raised his left eyebrow.

“Because I most likely am, bye for now.” She said and kissed him quickly.

One of the police officers put the cuffs on her and led her out of the door.

The youngest police officer stared at Dan for a moment, “Err… I’m sorry aren’t you from Bastille? My friends are big fans.”

“Yes I am.” Dan replied. Then they took a selfie.

“Guys, be professional!” Florence said and they walked her out to the police car.