Chapter 35

Zoe's POV

"Hey Zoe!" Harry opens the front door and I smile at him anxiously. "I think Ashton is in his room."

"Thanks Harry." He shuts the door behind me and I walk up the stairs to Ashton's room. I knock softly on his door and after a moment I hear a thump and he opens the door. "Hey, did you just fall out of bed?" He puts his hand to his hair and tries to fix his messy hair. The anxiety that I was feeling moments ago melts away when I see him trying to fix his hair like he hasn't been lying in bed all day doing nothing.

"Is that what you're wearing for tonight? I'm glad I don't have to dress up." He sits at his desk and I sit across from him on his bed and pull my bag over to me.

"No, I didn't want to make my parents suspicious so I came in my usual with a change of clothes in my bag. You didn't seriously think I was wearing this did you?" He looks around the room and pulls a funny face.

"Noooooo..." I giggle at his behaviour and soon he starts laughing too.

"Zoe! Can you come downstairs?" Anne-Marie voice breaks our laughter.

"Why is your mum calling me?" I head out of the room and see her at the bottom of the stairs with the house phone in her hand.

"Your mother is on the phone." I roll my eyes at her and take the phone. She gives me a sympathetic grin before leaving the room.

"Yes Mother?"

"I was just making sure you made it there."

"I can't believe you didn't trust me to come here." I hear her sigh on the other end of the phone and I can tell her anger is simmering.

"I just wanted to make sure. I will see you later." She hangs up on me and I sigh in frustration. I can't believe she's still checking up on me.

"So what's going on tonight?" Anne-Marie appears next to me and she raises her eyebrows at me.

"We might be going on a date?" Her face changes, but not to anger like I thought it would be, it changes to happiness. She's actually excited we're going on a date. I wish my mother was that cool.

"That's so exciting! Where are you going? What time? Why didn't Ashton tell me?" At that moment Ashton walks down the stairs. "Ashton why didn't you tell me you were going on a date!" She yells at him and he turns to go back upstairs. "Ashton! Don't walk away from me!"

"I didn't tell you because I knew you would do this." He comes back down the stairs and goes into the kitchen. 

"So where are you going?" She focuses back on me with a smile on her face.

"I'm not sure yet. We're going on a double date with Luke and Lucy."

"I haven't met Lucy yet. You should convince Luke to invite her to band practice."

"Then we'd get nothing done mum." Ashton walks past us again and grabs my hand on the way. "We have to get ready, they're going to be here soon."

"You never get anything done now so there wouldn't be a difference." I hear her mumble and I giggle at her comment. Ashton would be mad if he heard it, but it's true. "What are you wearing? What should I wear?" He asks we get up to his room.

"I'm not sure what you should wear. I'll go get changed and I can help you decide if you want?" he nods and I pick up my bag to get changed in the bathroom.

 I'll go get changed and I can help you decide if you want?" he nods and I pick up my bag to get changed in the bathroom

I come out of the bathroom hoping he'll like what I'm wearing. If he doesn't hopefully Lucy will. I push open his bedroom door and see him over at his closet trying to pick something out. He turns around at the sound of the door creaking and I look away from him feeling embarrassed.

"Woah. You look hot." I look back at him and my cheeks flame red. Well I guess it's better than him having no opinion.

"So what have you got so far?" I ask him as I put my bag down on the bed.

"Ahh... Jeans and a shirt?" I giggle at his unsureness. "I'm not so sure about it after seeing you."

"No it will be fine. You can just pair it with a nice jacket." I push him towards the bathroom and pick him out a jacket to wear with the outfit. As I pull a jacket out the doorbell rings and my stomach flutters with nerves. 

"Ashton they're here, hurry up." I hang his jacket on the door handle and grab my handbag.

"What do you think?" He comes in with a stupid smile on his face which makes me smile.

"Looks good, now come on." He rolls his eyes at me before taking my hand and walking downstairs.

"Well Lucy it is very nice to meet you! I hope I get to see you again soon!" When Lucy and Luke come into view my jaw almost drops at how hot she looks, I wouldn't blame Ashton for staring.

"Hey Zoe!" Lucy says as she runs over to me for a hug. "You look so good!" She looks me up and down.

"I was going to say the same thing about you."

"Well you kids should get going then. Have a good time!" We get pushed out the door and we all head to Luke car.

"Well she didn't want to get rid of us." Luke laughs with Ashton as he gets in the front seat.

"So where are we going?" I ask Lucy and Luke hoping for an answer. Luke must know because he's driving us there.

"You'll see when you get there." Lucy says excitedly as we pull out of the driveway.