Chapter 39

Zoe's POV

I wake up early on the Monday, excited to see my friends and specifically Ashton. On Saturday night when he came to see me we didn't have sex or anything but I feel closer to him now than I ever have. It also felt nice to have our bare chest pressed together. It made me feel grown up and not like the child that my mother treats me like.

When I arrive at school Lucy comes over to me before anyone else sees me. "Good morning." She says to me with a smile on her face and her eyebrows raised. "Would you like to tell me why Ashton has a huge smile on his face?" She holds back her excitement as my face turns red. "Did you guys do it?" She whispers excitedly not trying to hold it back anymore.

"No we didn't do it. We did other stuff.." I shrug my shoulders not wanting to give Lucy excessive details. She can assume the rest if she really wants to know, and that way it will probably be more sexual than it actually was.

"You're kidding! When?" She grabs my arm excitedly and we start walking down the hall.

"Saturday after the gig. He came by my house and I think the thrill of getting caught gave me the courage." We both giggle together about it as we approach the group.

"Morning!" Luke says to Lucy and I and by the look on his face I think he also knows. Hopefully Ashton didn't tell all the boys. "How was your weekend Zoe?" Luke asks me with a stupid smirk on his face.

"I bet it wasn't good because you missed our gig!" Michael says as he wraps me in a hug.

"Yeah that totally sucked!" Calum says as he comes over.

"I'm sorry guys, I promise I'll be there for the next one."

"What if there isn't a next one before we leave?" Michael pouts. The thought of not seeing them play again makes me sad but they don't need to know that. They need to focus on the positive.

"I'm sure there will be, and if not you can always call and play for me over the phone." The boys laugh at that thought as the bell rings for class.

~*~

"Hey Zoe!" I hear Luke call from behind me and I stop to wait for him. "Off to the studio?" He asks with a lazy grin.

"Yeah, Michael can't make it so I thought I'd go over some things I haven't done in a while." I say as I keep walking.

"Want some company then?" He walks with me and I don't say no so he takes it as a yes. "So how are you going to be when we all leave?" He says after I shut the door to the music room. 

"I'll be sad but you have to go." I say with a shrug. If I'm being honest I'm kind of getting sick of hearing about their stupid gig. I want them to go and stop asking me how I feel about it. I don't want to hold them back.

"But you'll know we'll-"

"Hey Luke have you ever played to accordion?" I say trying to change the subject. He laughs at the thought and I'm glad we can get away from the topic of leaving.

"I can't say I have. Have you?" He points to the one in the corner of the room I'm almost certain someone left here because the school wouldn't waste money on an instrument that would rarely get used. I don't know whether I should show him I know how to play or not. I think it would be more embarrassing for me than him.

"Just making conversation!" I say while trying to change the subject again. "How about we get started?" He rolls his eyes at my lame Segway. "Why don't you go pick something from the store room and I can teach you how to play it?" I say to him and he laughs.

"Yeah right like you could teach me." I punch his arm and he heads to the store room. While I wait for him I sit at the drums and play with a beat. When I feel a pair of arms slide over mine I almost scream as I didn't hear the door open over the drums.

"Hey it's just me!" Ashton laughs as I stop playing. "No don't stop! I wanted to play with you." Ignoring my heart beating out of my chest because of either being frightened or because of Ashton's face, I stand up so he can sit on the stool. I sit on his lap and he puts his arms around my waist as I go back to the beat I was playing with. He starts playing the foot drum in time with my tune and we sit there for a moment trying to make something out of it. I turn my head slightly so I can see his face but still focus on the drums and notice that his eyes are tightly shut as he focuses on the music. His hands flinch slightly every time I strike the drum. He's so focused on the music, for a while I don't think he realises I had stopped playing. "Why did you stop?" He asks when his eyes snap open.

"If you would rather play, I don't mind." I run my fingers through his hair and he gives me a smile.

"You two do realise everything you said sounded like something else." Luke walks out of the storage room and rolls his eyes.

"Sorry Luke, I forgot you were in there." I say sheepishly. "What instrument did you pick?"

"Nah, another day. I'm going to go so you two can just do it already." He walks out of the room and I can feel my face heating up. Nothing happened! Why is Luke so blunt? God I want to face palm myself so bad!