Chapter 13

Zoe's POV

"Hello?" I pick up my phone.

"Hey Zoe, can you come over to Ashton's house?" I look over at my clock. It's 8am on a Saturday. I'm not sure why they're all there so early but I'll go.

"Sure Cal, I'll be there in ten." The line goes dead and I get up and get changed. He sounded panicked. Is it about tonight? I head downstairs and see my parents sitting in the kitchen. "Bye, I'm going to Ashton's house."

"Have fun Zoe." My dad calls out and instantly gets scolded by my mother. Probably because he told me to have fun when they though I am going to tutoring. I start walking down my street in the direction of Ashton's house. The hot sun washes over me and I wonder why I chose to wear black skinny jeans today of all days.

"Hello?" I call out as I knock on Ashton's front door. After a couple of seconds the door is opened by Anne Marie.

"Oh," She looks at me with a shocked expression. "Zoe I didn't know you had tutoring today." I smile politely at her as she lets me in.

"I don't actually. Cal called me and told me to come over." She looks even more shocked than she did before.

"Oh, well they're upstairs in Ashton's room." I nod and head up the stairs.

"Hello?" I push the door open and see Ashton, Calum and Michael sitting on Ashton's bed.

"Zoe!" Cal quickly gets up and comes over to me and pulls me into a hug.

"What's up?" He sighs and looks back at the boys.

"Luke's acting weird. When we got here this morning he started freaking out about performing tonight and now he won't talk to any of us. He's in the other room staring out the window. We had no idea what to do so I called you. I thought you could talk to him." I nod my head. Luke helped me with this so I can help him with it too. I look over at the other boys and smile.

"Hey Zoe." Michael lets out a soft laugh and Ashton looks me up and down.

"Hey," he looks me in the eye and I feel scared for some reason. I know it's just Ashton but I think it's the fact that he never really stares at me. I give him a small smile. "You look nice." I look down at my white fitted t shirt and jeans.

"Thanks." I give him a small smile before directing my attention back to Calum. "So which room is he in?" He points to the door diagonally across from Ashton's. I nod and head out of the room. I softly knock on the door and wait.

"He has headphones in." Michael calls out of the open door. Of course he does. I push the door open and see him sitting in a chair facing the window, just like Cal said he was.

"Hey Luke." I walk in slowly and shut the door behind me. When he doesn't respond, I walk over to him and rip his headphones out.

"Oi!" He turns around and his facial expressions soften when he sees me. "Zoe, hey." He gives me a quick hug before sitting back down. "Why are you here?"

"Cal called me." I sit in the chair next to him. He looks across at me with furrowed eyebrows.

"Why?"

"They're worried about you Luke. Why won't you talk to them? They're your band mates, they have to perform this afternoon too." He nods at my words.

"I know but I'm freaking out. What if they hate us? What if the words don't come out of my mouth? What if I mess up the chords? This is the biggest performance we have done." I kneel in front of him and put my hands on either side of his face.

"Luke, I know you will be fine. You have Ashton, Michael and Calum right there with you. And if you can't look at anyone, look at me. Okay?" He nods his head.