Chapter 46

Zoe's POV

After English I had Modern History with Michael, and they all seem to know something I don't but none of them will tell me. At lunch I decide to avoid all of them and head for the music rooms. When I open the door the room is dark, the substitute music teacher must have turned the lights off after he left. Before I can flick the lights on I notice a light coming from the other side of the room. I walk over to the desks where the the light is coming from and see little tea lights flickering. Only when I get close enough can I see that they spell out "formal?" I cover my mouth in shock and look around the room for Ashton. Unless I'm being asked to formal by a desk, he should be here somewhere.  scan the dimly lit room and when I turn back to the candles, he appears in front of me. With a smile on his face he hands me a small item which looks a lot like a guitar pick, but heavier. On one side "I pick you" is engraved and the other has his name in his messy writing. I look up at him unable to say anything.

"So uh..." Ashton says awkwardly and I realise he's waiting for my answer. I round the desk and throw my arms around his neck, pulling him into a kiss. Never in my mother-controlled life did I think I would ever be going to formal with a boy, let alone my boyfriend. If she could see me now, she'd have a heart attack.

"Yes, Ashton." I say when I pull away from his intoxicating lips. He gives me one of his sweet smiles as he pulls me to him tight and kisses me again.

~*~

"I can't believe Ashton promposed!" Lucy squeals the next day when I open the door to my sister apartment for her.

"Lucy, no one calls it that! It's formal here!" I laugh and she shrugs her shoulders.

"Well I wish Luke would ask me like that, he's running out of time." I shut the door behind her and Zali comes out of her room.

"Oh hey, you must be Lucy." She gives her a smile before going to the kitchen. "I'm Zali and any friend of my sister's is welcome here."

"So that raging party is on? Sounds like fun." Lucy jokes and Zali rolls her eyes.

"Are you two ready to head out?" Zali asks as she grabs her bag and heads for the door, not giving us a chance to reply.

~*~

"Zali, you can't be serious! That is ugly." I say as she puts an overly beaded bright pink dress back on the rack.

"Well you have to pick something to try on. Lucy has already tried on ten dresses and she doesn't even know if Luke is asking her to formal."

"Hey I heard that!" Lucy says from the changing room and Zali giggles. Of course Luke will ask her but what if he has already bought a salmon suit and they clash?

"What about white then?" She pulls out another dress and I scrunch up my nose.

"It will wash me out." I say.

"Get a tan then." She fires back.

"What about black?" I pull one out with my eyebrows raised.

"You can't wear black, you'll blend in with all the suits." She says while rummaging for another dress. "How about blue?"

"Everyone will be wearing blue."

"Yellow?"

"Zali!" I whine.

"What do you think of this one?" Lucy comes out of the dressing room with a skin tight black dress that shimmers like the night sky.

"It's beautiful Lucy, but with that body don't you think you could get away with any colour? I think black is a very safe colour for you." Zali says with her finger pressed against her cheek. Lucy tilts her head at her reflection in the mirror and agrees with Zali.

"Well if you're not going to try anything on Zoe, we should head to the next store. I sigh at Lucy as she gets changed so we can leave.

~*~

After visiting seven stores, some of them twice, Lucy and I both decided on dresses. Lucy picked out a beautiful floor length tulle dress that had a slit cut at the leg and a bodice covered in rhinestones. My dress was less of a spectacle than hers; I went for a simple floor length red strapless dress that had pockets that were highlighted with rhinestones. I don't want to draw attention from others but I do hope Ashton likes it.

"We also need to book hair and nail appointments, we need shoes, purses and... jewellery!" Lucy turns to me after her list with a big smile on her face. I don't want to do anymore of this today, I'm exhausted. I have no idea how she is still going strong.

After booking hair and nail appointments for the same time, we head for the shoe stores. I'm just going to pick the first pair I see, you won't see them under my dress anyway. Lucy on the other hand has to get the perfect pair, which could take forever to find. While waiting for Lucy to try on six pairs of shoes, I look over at Zali.

"How could you possibly be still enjoying this?" I study her and she gives me a wide smile before throwing her arm over my shoulder.

"I haven't seen my little sister in forever and she asks me to take her and her friend formal shopping? How can I not enjoy this? I've missed so much and this significant moment with you is reserved for me and me only. Aren't you enjoying yourself?" She asks me and I have to think for a moment. I didn't even look at this from that perspective. I didn't even think I was going to formal let alone my sister would be shopping with me.

"I see your point." I say just as Lucy walks over to us in a high pair of silver heels.

"What do you think?" She poses for us a few times and by the look on her face she's in love with the shoes.

"Aren't they a little high? You're going to be in them all night." I say. I do want to get out of here faster but I do need to be a good friend to Lucy.

"My feet will be fine." She waves my comment off. "Besides, I need to keep up with Luke." We all laugh.

"You should get those." Zali says standing from the chair we were in.

"Luke isn't going to know what hit him." I say as she excitedly goes to take the shoes off.