[28]

once I had finished up the school year online, we went to Texas.

"I WANNA GET BACK TO THE OLD DAYS WHEN THE PHONE WOULD RING AND I KNEEEWW IT WAS YOU"

of course, as with Ny, Demi and I, there was a jam session in every car we sat in.

"I WANNA GET BACK, GET BACK, WITH YOU!!!!!"

Demi, driving, was yelling herself hoarse, Naya was headbanging enthusiastically in the passenger seat and I had stuck my head out the window in the back seat and closed my eyes, managing to enjoy some breeze on my face before my phone vibrated in my hand.

text: Dianna

WHERE ARE YOU??????

damn it. I checked the time. we were half an hour late, mainly because Demi couldn't go fast as she was turning up too hard.... to her own song.

"DEMI WE'RE LATE!" I yelled over the song.

"F---!"

Naya leaned over and turned the CD player off, switching to radio instead, causing Demi to sing along, not picking up any speed at all.

"we've got the fire, fire, fi-re. and we're gonna let it burn burn burn burn!"

I changed the station.

"why you gotta be so ruuuuuuude? don't you know I'm human too?"

change.

"why won't you staaaay with meee.."

change.

"cos aaaAAAAAaalll of me loves aaaaAAAAAAAaaaallll of youuuu"

change.

"because I'm HAPPEEEEEE!"

"I'm latching onto yoUUU"

"I want you to staaaAAaayyyy!"

"WE'LL BE COUNTING STARS!"

"I'M COVERING MY EARS LIKE A KID!"

"SING! LOUDER! OHOHHOH!!"

"WHY DO YOU KNOW EVERY SONG ON THE RADIO?" Naya yelled in complete exasperation.

"BECAUSE I'M DEMI LOVATOOOO"

eventually, we gave up and turned the radio off, Demi stepped on the gas and we finally sped off to meet the De La Garzas.

To: Dianna

SORRY!!! on our way. demi's turning up to her own song. coming soon I promise! :) xo

------

tw // ED mention

"family lunch" was what the De La Garzas called it, but it looked more like a Homecoming Ceremony Feast, and it was scary.

after Demi, Naya and I put our bags down in our rooms (Demi and Naya took the guest room, and I shared with Maddie), we went downstairs for lunch. I watched as Dianna brought out pasta, potatoes, chicken, and to my relief, salad. we sat down, linked hands and bowed our heads as Eddie said a prayer, then everyone began to tuck in.

I slowly got some salad, picking out as much negative calorie vegetables as I could. then I spread it around my plate to make it look like less, before spearing a leaf with my fork and bringing it up to my mouth. as I looked up, I caught Demi's eye and she adopted a strict expression, watching me until I had chewed it up and swallowed it. she gave me a reassuring smile before Eddie asked about the tour, and her attention was diverted. I shovelled as much salad into my mouth as possible, and as Maddie began to excitedly recount when Demi brought her up onstage for Really Don't Care on one of the nights, I grabbed a tissue and pretended to wipe my mouth, spitting it all out and pushing it under my plate. no one noticed. slowly, I got through the lunch that way - hiding, spitting, chewing very slowly. finally, when it was over, we had to clear our own plates which made it easy to throw the tissues away. then Maddie raced me upstairs so I could unpack while Dianna and Eddie chatted to Naya and Demi.