Can You Cut The String? - Soulmate AU pt1

(It's the soulmate AU with the string)

~Shuichi's POV~

I had known Kaede was my soulmate since the day I learned what a soulmate even was. Our families were very close since long before we were ever born.

We grew up together, shared everything, did everything together. The way our parents reacted to us being soulmates, well let's just say they began planning our wedding by the time we were old enough to go to school. They were over joyed by the fact that we were meant to be, and wouldn't want it any other way.

Now that we were in high school, it seemed only natural that we'd start dating, so we did. We both seemed happy, which was why I couldn't exactly place my finger on why this felt so wrong. I was close to Kaede, yes, but this type of relationship with her just didn't feel right.

I was sitting in class, waiting for it to start. My best friend, Kaito Momota, was sitting next to me. He pouted as he fiddled with the red string tied to his pinky finger. "Ugh!" He groaned, "you're so lucky to have been able to know who your soulmate was since the day you were born, Shuichi!" Kaito had traveled across the world, a hobby of his, but still hadn't found his soulmate.

"You'll find your soulmate someday, Kaito!" I assured him, "besides... Maybe it's better not knowing who you're going to have to be with for the rest of your life..." I thought aloud.

Technically, it was legal to marry somebody who wasn't your soulmate, but it was very socially unacceptable. People were often baffled by the thought that the universe made you a perfect partner, but you didn't want to spend your life with them.

"I mean, there's definitely some truth in that! But I've been dying to know what type of girl the universe made to be a perfect match for me!" He explained. "Who knows, maybe she lives on a whole 'nother planet!"

Kaito would often get caught up in his fantasies about outer space, his soulmate, or traveling the world to find her. I was jealous of the hope he had. He leaned back in his chair, just day dreaming.

The teacher then walked into a room as the bell rang, "Good Morning, Class!" Her voice sang, filling the classroom. Kaito snapped out of his thoughts and sat up straight.

"I hope all of you are doing well and have completed all your homework assignments for today!" She chirped. She then took out a checklist with student's names on it.

The teacher had on her usual warm smile, "alright, I'll now start calling ro-"

The classroom door creaked open, as one of my classmates, Kokichi Ouma, walked into the room.

The teacher's warm smile instantly turned into a cold glare, "late again, Mister Ouma?"

"Sorry, Nishishi!" He giggled, walking to his desk.

"What's your excuse this time?" The teacher sighed.

"Well, I was walking to school this morning, then a friend of mine ran into me and said they needed me to hide them because they had just stolen something, and the shop clerk was chasing them! So, I stayed behind for a little while to make sure they weren't caught! After that, I continued my walk to school but realized I was going to be late if I didn't pick up the pace, so I ran all the way here!" Ouma explained in an over dramatic tone. (If you caught the slight reference, I applaud you since its very small. *clap clap*)

I kinda giggled at his excuse for being late. Ouma always found a way to make a situation funny.

"So you over slept?" The teacher, along with everyone else in the class it seemed, just rolled their eyes. No one was really fond of Ouma, sadly. It was partially because of his annoying and childish behavior, but the main reason being... He didn't have a string. I was the only one who didn't mind that.

Ouma took his seat, and I couldn't help but stare at him. I always found it cool that he didn't have a string. Not having a string was like being free, I guess. Not to mention the way he acts. He's confusing to figure out. An enigma. I, being an aspiring detective, wanted to figure him out. I had been too shy to speak to him, however.

Class continued, and I guess Kaito caught onto the fact that I never kept my eyes off of Ouma. He kicked my foot, and slid a note under the desk.

I grabbed it and opened it.

What's the deal with Ouma? Why're you so interested in him, bro?

I read, being able to decipher his messy handwriting.

I took the piece of paper and wrote my response.

I'm not exactly sure. I just kinda want to get to know him, I guess.

I slid the note back to him. Kaito didn't exactly like Ouma in any way, and it wasn't because if his lack of a string. However, Kaito was very supportive of me and my decisions.

He quickly scribbled down a response and attempted to pass it back to me.

"Momota! Saihara! Are you passing notes during my lesson?!" The teacher asked, marching towards us. How did she even notice?

She grabbed the piece of paper out of Kaito's hand.

"Lunch detention, both of you!" She said, walking back to the front of the class.

She didn't take fooling around in her class very lightly. "And," She glared at Kaito and I, opening up the folded piece of paper, "whatever you were saying to each other, could've been said in front of the class"

She put the paper where she could see it, and began to recite the note, "What's the deal with Ouma? Why're you so interested in him, bro?" She began, "I'm not exactly sure. I just kinda want to get to know him, I guess."

At this point, students were whispering and talking to each other. I started to feel nervous and paranoid, wondering what people we're thinking. I looked up at Ouma, who was looking in my direction, confused. It was kinda understandable, no one had ever been interested in getting to know him before.

"This couldn't have waited until after class?" The teacher asked.

I stayed silent and Kaito simply shrugged.

The rest of class seemed to go on forever, and I couldn't stop hearing students whispering to each other. I wondered what they were saying, and hoped it wasn't about me.

Class finally ended, and I walked out of the classroom immediately. I walked to my second period class, which I shared with Kaede.

I walked into the classroom and was instantly greeted by my girlfriend.

"Hey, Shuichi! How was first period?" She said in her kind and sweet tone, as she wrapped her arms behind my neck.

"It was fine," I lied.

She gave me a pouty looking expression, "I know you, Shuichi! It was not fine. What happened? Do I need to kill somebody?!" She asked.

Kaede was always so kind to me, she felt like an overprotective sister.

"I'll talk about it later," I sighed, "just... Don't expect to see me during lunch period..."

"Shuichi! Were you misbehaving?!" She gasped.

I laughed a little, rolled my eyes in a joking manner, and walked to my desk. Kaede was a great friend, but she didn't feel like a soulmate.

A/N: ok, so I randomly got this idea out of no where and I love it. I mean, I thought it might be kinda stupid but I went for it! I love soulmate AUs a lot so I'm surprised this is the first one I've written. And like a lot of my other one shots, This ended up being way longer than I expected and I usually don't like making my chapters too long or else they can get boring to read. So I'm going to split it up in a couple of parts!