chapter 1

AMELIAS POV
Owen and I have been together for almost 13 years. I know that sounds absolutely insane but it's been the best thing that has ever happened to me. Who knew that my first boyfriend would be the guy that I would end up spending my life with. We aren't married because our lives have been so hectic the past few years with me at Harvard and Owen in the military, but we already act like we're married. We live together in an apartment complex a few minutes away from the hospital where I work, GreySloan. Today Owen is starting his internship here since he was honorably discharged from the military. I was standing next to Meredith and her best friend Cristina while we watched the new interns come in.
"Oh my gosh they're like little ducks remember when we were like them!" Meredith chuckled.
"Yeah right," Cristina said, "that ones a hot duck." Cristina was obviously looking at Owen. Owen saw me and smiled and I smiled back.
"Oh my god his smile," Cristina said.
"Cristina I'm pretty sure he was smiling at his girlfriend, Amelia," Meredith said and looked at me.
"Guilty as charged," I said.
"Damn you lucky duck," Cristina said.
"They're high school sweethearts," Meredith smiled.
"No way really?" Cristina said.
"Yeah I said, almost 13 years," I said.
"Oh my god bless you two," Cristina said.
"Yeah I don't know how he puts up with Amelia," Meredith said.
"Hey!" I said.
"You talk. A lot," She chuckled.
"So does he," I said.
"Yeah that's true," she said. My pager went off and I frowned at Meredith.
"Catch ya later," I said and ran down the hall. I scrubbed into an emergency surgery. It was a really bad brain bleed and it was super stressful. The bleed just wouldn't stop. I tried suction and everything. Finally it stopped and I fixed everything for the patient. When I was scrubbing out I realized why that surgery was so stressful for me. It was because she was a mom, a mom of 4, 2 girls and 2 boys. It made me think of how much I wanted to be a mom. Owen and I just haven't talked about it because of how crazy our lives have been lately with him coming back and getting into the internship and stuff. He's been home for about 5 months now, and I really want to start a family but I'm at a really good point in my career so I don't know if I just want to step away for a little bit. I walked out of the OR and I looked at the time and that surgery had taken me 5 hours. I was walking in the hallway when Richard stopped me and introduced me to his group of interns.
"And this is doctor shepherd," he said.
"The girl doctor shepherd," I pointed out.
"Yes the girl doctor shepherd," he chuckled. I paged the two interns who were on my service today and one was Owen which made me happy. The other one was a girl, Jo, Jo Wilson. I had another surgery so I figured they could watch and get tips because my shift was over in 2 hours anyway and I missed rounds because of the emergency surgery.
OWENS POV
I was on Amelias service today which was a nice coincidence. She was so hot in scrubs. She missed rounds this morning because an emergency service came in, so Jo and I were on Dereks service for the first part of the morning. Amelia paged Jo and I so we got in the elevator and met her upstairs by OR 3. Amelia smiled at me and Jo when she saw us.
"Okay Guys So there's not that much for you to do right now sorry today was probably not that exciting for you but, I have another surgery so you can watch and take notes or whatever and if I get paged for something minor you can cover?" She suggested. Jo and I looked at each other.
"Yeah why not," we both said.
"Okay great," Amelia smiled. She was so hot. She ran in and scrubbed and Jo and I went into the viewing room. Amelia was so hot when she was focusing. I stared down at her and I was in awe of my badass girlfriend.
"Dude she's gonna notice that you have the hots for her," Jo said.
"What?" I said.
"Doctor Shepherd," Jo said, "you're literally drooling over her, I heard she has a boyfriend dude."
"Lucky for me I'm her boyfriend," I said. She looked at me puzzled.
"Wait actually?" She said.
"Yeah," I chuckled, "we met in high school."
"In high school?" She said shocked.
"Yeah we've been together for 13 years," I said.
"Holy shit," Jo said.
AMELIAS POV
I  was in the middle of a surgery when my pager went off. The nurse said it was Derek but it wasn't urgent.
"Send the interns to see what he wants," I said.
"Okay," the nurse said and she scrubbed out to tell Jo and Owen to go meet Derek. The nurse came back and scrubbed in and told me they'd come back and tell me what he wanted which I said was perfect. This surgery was simple and I was almost done.
-
I scrubbed out and Jo and Owen had told me a while ago that Derek just needed a second opinion on a patient that they couldn't do. When I was finished scrubbing out I met Jo and Owen in the hallway and we went to go meet Derek.
"Okay guys this will be a good learning experience here for you guys," I said. The nodded as I walked into the CT room where Derek and his two interns were. I sat down next to him and it was a massive tumor.
"And guys this is my sister, also doctor shepherd," Derek said.
"The better shepherd," I smiled.
"Oh I wouldn't say that," Derek said.
"I'm better looking anyway," I chuckled.
"I hate you I asked you for a second opinion not to win my interns over," Derek chuckled.
"I'm multitasking," I said.
"Okay well we have a job to do," Derek said.
"Yes I see that," I said, "what do you want to do?"
"I don't think I can remove it, i mean I can but I can't without having a huge risk of her losing her sight or speech," Derek said.
"No I agree," I said, "it's too risky she could lose both."
"I know," Derek said.
"Okay quiz time," I said, "what could be some possible side affects of leaving the tumor?" All of the interns shot their hands up, and of course I wanted to pick Owen but I couldn't make it too obvious that we were dating because people would call it favoritism. I pointed to a girl standing in the front.
"Change in behavior, appetite, speech, sight, and a complete change in personality," she said. I looked at Derek.
"I like her," I said, "what's your name?"
"Edwards, Stephanie Edwards," she said.
"Well I like you Stephanie Edwards," I said, "Derek I'm gonna steal her from you."
"You can't do that," Derek chuckled.
"I'll do it if I want to," I chuckled.
"Okay anyway," Derek said, "her and her husband want me to do it but I don't think the understand the risks involved."
OWENS POV
Amelia was so cute when she was focused. She was focused on a brain tumor with Derek. Amelia pager went off and she looked at Derek.
"911," She said, "Text me later."
"Okay," I said. She ran down the hall with Jo and I and the ER was packed. Her and another surgeon ran into help and they told us to stand back because it was so bad. I didn't like being an intern, I didn't get to do much, but eventually I'd get there.