chapter 38

OWENS POV
I felt my heart stop.
"Owen," Amelia said.
"We're going to the hospital," I said.
"Mommy okay?" Ethan said again.
"Mommy hurt?" Lucas said.
"Mommy just needs to go to the hospital to visit Aunty Arizona and she'll make it okay," I said panicking. I got them in the car and Amelia followed. I called Arizona and told her and Amelia grabbed my hand as we were driving.
"Owen," she said quietly.
"I know," I said. I looked over at her and she looked at me with tears in her eyes.
"I love you," She said.
"I love you too," I said, "no matter what okay?"
"Okay," She said. We were pulling into the hospital and I looked at Amelia. She looked at me and I kissed her head. Arizona met us outside and Jo came and took the kids to daycare. Arizona rushed us in and started an ultrasound. I was watching the screen as she was looking for a heartbeat but there was none. Amelia squeezed my hand tightly and I knew it had happened.
"Guys I'm so so sorry," Arizona said.
"How did this happen?" Amelia said crying.
"I think it's because she was so small, and we didn't catch it in time," Arizona said, "I'll give you guys some time." Amelia got up and hugged me tightly as we both cried.
"I love you," I said.
"I love you too," She said, "Can we get the kids I just wanna go home."
"Do you think they'll understand?" I asked.
"I don't even understand Owen," she said sadly, "they won't get it. Why did this have to happen?"
"I don't know," I said, "Do you want my mom to watch the kids tonight."
"Can you tell her?" Amelia said as her voice broke.
"Yes," I said. She grabbed my hand and whipped her eyes and we went to go get the kids. I felt like my world had stopped. We just lost our baby girl. Amelia and I knew we had to pull it together for the kids but then we could drop them off at my moms. Amelia looked up at me.
"I'm sorry," she said.
"Amelia this is not your fault," I said.
"Kinda feels like it," She said.
"It's not," I said, "I'll go call my mom."
"I'm gonna go get the boys," she said quietly.
"Okay," I said. I opened the door to an oncall room and dialed my mom's number. I locked the door and started crying.
"Hey Owen what's up?" My mom said.
"Mom," I said, "Mom Amelia had a miscarriage."
"Oh honey, I am so so so sorry," she said, "please let me know if there is anything I can do for you guys."
"Can you watch the kids tonight?" I asked.
"Of course I can," she said, "I'll bring you over some dinner too."
"Okay," I said quietly.
"How's Amelia?" She asked.
"Broken," I said, "it's going to be really hard, she thinks it's her fault."