chapter 2

OWENS POV
Amelia had a shorter shift than me. So when I was on my way home she was already there. I pulled into the apartment complex and I unlocked our door and she was laying on the couch on her computer.
"Hey," she said.
"Hey," I said and closed the door.
"I waited for you to eat dinner," she said and got up.
"Thanks," I smiled. She closed her computer and she looked frustrated.
"What's wrong?" I asked.
"It's just that case I was looking at with Derek," she said, "we don't know what to do." She walked over to me and hugged me.
"Anyway how was your first day?" She asked.
"Pretty good," I said. I paused and wondered if I should tell her that I told Jo that we're dating.  I mean we did agree not to tell anyone because it could come between our work and stuff.
"I told someone," we both said at the same time. We both laughed and she hugged me again.
"We're really good at keeping secrets," she chuckled, "but who'd you tell?"
"Jo," I said, "I mean she kinda figured it out."
"How'd she figure it out?" She asked.
"Well when we were watching your surgery she was kinda like 'she'll notice that you're staring at her' and I was like well," I chuckled.
"Cristina thinks you're hot," she said.
"Cristina..?" I said because I didn't meet her today.
"Head of cardio," she said.
"Oh," I chuckled.
"So I told her," she said, "I'm starving can we eat?"
"Yes of course," I said. She took dinner out of the oven and we sat down.
"Did you cook?" I asked.
"I mean while you were away I couldn't starve," she chuckled, "so yeah I can cook like 2 things."
"You're cute," I said. She smiled and we ate dinner together which was really nice. I missed this when I was away in the military, and I was so glad that I was back. Her phone rang and she got up and got it and I knew it was Derek about the case because she was so stressed.
"I'll call him later," she said and sat back down.
"Do you want to talk about it?" i asked.
"It's so stressful because the husband wants the tumor out because her personality has totally changed, but she could be worse if we take it out and I don't know what to do," she said, "I'm so glad you're here though, I've missed ranting to you about work or stress or something."
"I love you," I said.
"I love you too," She said, "so how is it being an intern?"
"It's alright," I shrugged.
"I know being an intern kinda sucks you don't get to do anything," she chuckled, "I was there I get it."
"But seeing you everyday is fun," I said, "it was kinda boring being home while you were always at work."
"Yeah," She said. Her pager went off and she checked it and she frowned at me.
"Ugh 911 I'll see you later," she said. She walked over to me and kissed me and left. I was kinda sad that she had to go but I also wanted to sleep. I cleaned up dinner and then walked into our bedroom and laid down. I looked over at the nightstand by our bed that had the framed photo of us from our one year anniversary. We were so young it's insane. In the picture Amelia was 15 and I was 17. We were now 30 and 28. It's crazy that I've got to spend most of my life with her, and she's the love of my life.
AMELIAS POV
I just finished two surgeries and it was close to 4am. I wanted to just crash at the hospital because I was so exhausted but I also wanted to be with Owen. I drove home and I barely made it up to our apartment. I unlocked the door and walked into our bedroom where Owen was passed out. He was so cute.
"Hey," he mumbled, I don't even think he was fully awake.
"Hi," I said.
"Mhm," he trailed off. I chuckled and threw on one of his shirts and crawled into bed with him and set my alarm for 9. I plugged my phone in and left it on the floor and Owen rolled over into me.
"I'm so tired," I said.
"Mmmm," he mumbled and wrapped his arms around my waist. He pulled me closer to him and I laid my head on my pillow and tried to fall asleep.
-
I heard an alarm go off and Owen shut it off. I looked at the time and it was 7.
"Owennn," I mumbled.
"I'm sorry baby," He said and kissed my head.
"Have fun," I said.
"I will," He said, "And I love you too." My pager went off and I rolled over.
"Are you kidding me," I said.
"I'm sorry," he said. I looked at my pager and it said urgent. I got dressed with Owen and we were both on our way to work. He drove so that I could sleep on the way there, like we did when we were kids on our way to school. We got there and he nudged me and I looked at him.
"You look so beat," he chuckled.
"I got three hours of sleep," I said.
"You need coffee," he chuckled.
"Yeah," I said and got out. I got out and the page was from Derek so I met him in his office. I opened his door and he was holding two coffees. He held on out to me.
"It's going to be a long day," he said.
"You're the best," I said and grabbed the coffee.
"And ladies and gentlemen, this is my sister, the coffeeholic," Derek said, looking at the interns that I hadn't noticed were there.
"Sleepaholic," I said.
"Yeah well I know you didn't get more than 5 hours," he said.
"Yeah I got three," I yawned, "anyway why am I here?"
"The husband wants me to do the surgery but the wife now doesn't want it because I explained the risks," he said.
"Ugh," I said, "I mean he can't make the decision for her as long as shes mentally here."
"She is," He said, "but he won't hear it from me."
"I need more coffee," I chuckled.
"Hey you wanna go talk to him?" He said.
"You're coming with me," I said, "all of you." I walked out with Derek and as we approached the room the husband and wife were fighting.
"I'm fine right now! I don't want to risk my sight and speech if I'm okay right now it's not worth it, we can come back if I get worse," she said, and that made logical sense.
"No! You're not fine I want the tumor out or I'm leaving you," He said. I stopped and looked at Derek.
"You talk to him I'll talk to her?" I suggested.
"Fine," he shrugged, "remember who got you the coffee."