chapter 41

48 hours later
OWENS POV
Amelia has been at work for almost 48 hours and I'm worried about her. I called my mom to watch the boys while I go over to the hospital because she needs to come home. I know her, she's pushing herself to do whatever it takes so that she won't think about it. I walked into the hospital and found Derek.
"Where is She?" I said, "she needs to come home."
"I know I've tried to send her home multiple times today," he said, "I believe she's in OR2." I rushed upstairs and went into the gallery and there she was. I noticed something was off. She wasn't saying much, and I watched her hands as they got slower. Moments later she collapsed to the ground.
AMELIAS POV
I was in surgery and I felt the room spinning. My eyes started to get heavy and my vision started blurring. Moments later I must have blacked out.
-
I opened my eyes and I was in a hospital bed. I don't even remember what happened.
"What's happened?" I said, I looked over and Owen was sitting next to me. He looked so worried and I felt awful.
"You blacked out," He said, "Meredith said from exhaustion and stress."
"I'm sorry," I said crying.
"Amelia there's better ways to cope," he said.
"I know," I said. I looked at him and he looked so worried. I ran my fingers through his hair and started crying.
"I think I need to go to therapy," I said.
"I think that would be a good idea," he said.
"What about you?" I said.
"I could go if you want me to," he suggested.
"I thought today would be a good idea," I sighed, "which it was obviously a mistake."
"They boys miss you," He said.
"I miss them too," I said, "can you call your mom to bring them here?"
"Of course," He said. He called his mom and I laid back in the bed. Seeing the boys would really make me happier. 20 minutes later Evelyn came in with the boys which made me smile.
"Mommy!" Ethan said. He wiggled out of Evelyn's arms and took a few little running steps towards the bed. Those were his first few continuous steps.
"Hi baby," I smiled, "look at you with all your steps!" I picked him up and put him in my lap and Owen placed Lucas next to me. Owen went outside to talk to Evelyn for a little bit.
"Mommy why you in hospital?" Ethan asked.
"Mommy didn't feel good that's why," I said.
"Sick?" Lucas said.
"No mommy's not sick," I said.
"Oh," Lucas said confused.
"I missed you guys," I smiled.
"Missed you too!" Lucas said and crawled on me. I kissed their heads and hugged them tightly.
-
We got home and the boys fell asleep in the car. I tucked them into bed and I came out into the kitchen and Owen was sitting at the counter.
"Can we talk?" I said.
"Yeah," He said and patted the seat next to him.
"I'm not good at coping with things," I said, "i don't know I'm just not good at it, I don't like crying I don't like feeling it, and this one hit me so hard that it all came out and I wanted to act like everything was fine when it really wasn't."
"I know," he said, "I knew that from the beginning Amelia, you don't have to act like everything is okay, you're allowed to feel the pain."
"I'm sorry about today," I said, "it was incredibly stupid."
"I'm just glad you're okay," he said.
"Me too," I said.
"I love you," He said.
"I love you too," I said.
"I wanna get married soon," he said, "I've waited nearly fourteen years I don't want to wait longer." He chuckled and smiled at me.
"I don't want to wait either," I smiled.
"We should call Megan like tomorrow or something," he said, "she'd wanna help."
"Yeah definitely," I smiled.
"There's the smile I've missed," He said.
"I love you so much," I said.
"I love you so much more," he said.
"Not possible," I said and kissed him.
"You're cute," He said.
"You too," I said, "Almost fourteen years that's crazy."
"It is," He said.
"Wow," I said.
"Hey remember prom?" He chuckled.
"Could never forget it," I chuckled.
"I cannot believe we actually had sex that often as teenagers and our parents eventually let us get away with it," he chuckled.
"Oh my god I'd kill Ethan and Lucas if they did what we did," I chuckled.
"We're great examples for our kids," he chuckled.
"Oh absolutely," I said.
"We were so irresponsible," Owen chuckled.
"Oh i know right," I chuckled.
"Dude family dinners," he said.
"I was dragged to every one of them," I laughed.
"I love reliving our past," he said.
"Me too," I said, "it makes me so happy."
"Me too," He said.
OWENS POV
Amelia and I were laying in bed and she definitely seemed happier. Before we were talking about our past and she seemed happy. I looked over at the pictures of us on our book shelf. We were so young. I got up and grabbed a picture of us at the beach as teenagers. Amelia got up too and looked at the pictures with me. She wrapped her arms around my waist and smiled.
"I remember that day," she said, "you pushed me into the water and tried to convince me it was warm when it was like negative degrees."
I chuckled because I remembered that too.
"Ah yes," I said.
"Owen," Amelia said.
"Yeah?" I said.
"I'm gonna be happy," she said, "I'm going to chose happiness, I don't want to be depressed about this and mope all day, I can't do that, and I can't overwork myself, but I can be happy."