e l e v e n

Cherry | 11 | Blossoms

🌸

Y/N was expecting many things when she opened the door. Restraints, a maniac, blood, shredded sheets, maybe even padded walls so they didn't harm themselves. What she wasn't expecting to see, was a woman sitting on a chair facing out the window in a lightly decorated room.

The walls were painted in a light coral color, with odd flower frames hanging off them. The bed was at a corner with neat white sheets over them. There was a small table next to a light brown cabinet drawer, and it smelled like fresh picked Lily's in the room.

Still, what surprised Y/N the most was the woman staring out the window. Her hair was a silver gray color that glistened under the sunlight seeing through the window. She'd turned around at the sound of the door being opened, so Y/N was able to take in the color of her grey eyes. She was wearing a white outfit that reminded Y/N a lot of hospital gowns.

"H-hello," Y/N stuttered out before she could think. "I'm Y/N, I'm here to..."

She trailed off as the woman turned away from her and went back to gazing out the window. Y/N awkwardly stood by the door—shifting her legs from one position to the other. She didn't even know the woman's name. How was she supposed to call out to her? Gripping the key card in her hand, she cursed herself for not knocking before walking in. She'd been very rude. What if this strange lady hated her for it now?

Shoving the card into her pocket, Y/N took a deep breath and decided to reach out once again.

"So," she started slowly. "Is there anything you need? I can get it for you."

But the woman didn't acknowledge her. Her face remained glued to the window as she looked out into the vast openness. Y/N felt so insignificant when people ignored her, but with this woman, it was as if she wasn't even there.

With nothing else to do, Y/N took it to herself to walk to the bathroom and get cleaning supplies. She might as well do something for her if she wasn't about to talk. After all, that's what babysitters did with kids pulling a tantrum.

It didn't take Y/N long to tidy the small room. The bathroom was fairly clean, and the bed had already been made. She'd also seen a laundry room on her way to the room when she'd arrived, and the woman's clothes needed a good wash.

As Y/N threw them all together in a heap after collecting them from odd ends, under the bed and sort of scattered around the room, she became conscious that the woman only owned white colored clothing.

Even as she looked around the room, it was all dull and opaque. Y/N turned to look at the woman once more. Her back was facing Y/N. She was caressing the window as she looked outside, like she was trying to find something —no—like she'd found something, but it was too far away for her to reach. She looked so despondent.

For a split second, Y/N thought of her nights in foster homes where she would sit and stare out the window and wonder when her next meal would be, or if it was her last night there. She was always searching for something that was never there.

Y/N grabbed the heap of clothes in her hands and stood.

"I'm going to do this laundry and head to the store. I'll be right back." She wasn't expecting an answer, and of course she didn't get one.

...

Y/N had the sense to wear a large coat over her nurse uniform. Even if she was farther away from her apartment and UA, she wasn't about to expose herself to being found wandering around the streets trying to find a grocery store with a nurse uniform on.