Forty

Cherry | 40 | Blossoms

🌸

Chisaki never called unless it was an emergency or she had really screwed up. Like the one time she'd snuck out to meet up with some guy to watch a movie she'd been dying to see. It had been in the beginning, when he'd been recently served divorce papers. He'd found out not even thirty minutes after she left. He'd dragged her back and she had the scar on her forearm that reminded her of her mistake everyday. She also never saw the boy ever again.

It was like she was paralyzed as she saw his name flash across her phone screen. Her face had gone pale, her hands were perspiring and the sudden hunger she'd felt earlier had dissipated. Instead, she felt the urge to puke.

"Your phone, Y/N." Uraraka's voice came through to her. "Are you going to answer?"

"I-I—" Y/N fisted a hand in her lap, digging her nails in to her palms. She needed to calm down. She tried smiling. "Y-Yeah."

"You can answer it here," Midoriya suggested. "We don't mind."

"I—ah." She wanted to say no, but she wasn't sure she could move. Her legs felt so heavy. "Yeah." she finally said. "Okay."

She could feel Shouto's eyes on her, and in the split instant her eyes met his, she knew he knew something was wrong, but she broke his gaze and turned back to her screen, hitting the green answer key before bringing it to her ear.

She cleared her throat. "Hello?"

"Where are you?" Chisaki greeted in a low voice.

Y/N glanced at her friends, and tried giving them a smile, before she answered, "Oh, dad. I'm out studying with some of my friends."

"I take it you have company then," Chisaki's voice was gruff. "I don't care who you're with right now. Do you know the bakery down the popular coffee shop?"

Y/N's skin crawled when she realized the bakery he was talking about was only a five minute walk down the street. "Yes."

"I have a car waiting for you—ah!" She heard him gasp.

"Is everything—?"

"Don't fucking start with your interrogation right now," he groaned into the phone. She was glad she'd lowered the volume of the headset. Her friends weren't able to hear him. "I don't care with who or where you are, get down here now."

Chisaki hung up the phone, and Y/N had to pretend he was still on the line so her friends wouldn't suspect. "Okay, I'll see you there."

She locked her phone before grabbing her new purse she'd recently purchased the day before when she was out shopping for groceries. She turned to her friends. "Sorry, guys. My dad needs me. I have to go meet up with him."

"Is everything okay?" Uraraka asked her, concern in her voice.

"Yes," Y/N stood up, surprised that her legs could even move. "He just needs my help with something. I should get going. Tell Kaminari I'm sorry for leaving early."

"Oh, okay." Midoriya smiled at her. "We'll see you later then."

"Call me later," Shouto interjected, his eyes trained on her. "We need to discuss the homework for Aizawa's class."

Y/N's eyes shifted to meet his, and she understood what he was trying to say. He knew something wasn't right and he wanted to make sure she was okay. She smiled gratefully at him. "Yeah," she answered, clutching her trembling hands against her purse. "I will."