// 89

hi please go watch one day at a time on netflix because it is an amazing show.

i could talk about it forever but for right now i'm going to talk about the character of syd.

so syd is a character that identifies as nonbinary and the show does it so. so. well.

at first, the show introduces characters with a bunch of different pronouns including a few neopronouns, and of course there's a little bit of confusion among the family, which is understandable. but never once do they refer to a gender neutral character as "it". so many tv shows revert to the pronoun "it" which is infuriating. the show never once does that. later in the episode, when the family is talking to the characters with the strange pronouns, the family refers to the people as just their pronouns. which i think adds both comedic effect and it shows people respecting pronouns, which is always a plus.

later, the character of syd (who used they/them pronouns) starts to date elena and becomes more prevalent of a character. they never touch on the pronoun thing again. the family uses they/them pronouns for syd and it's never discussed. there's usually a lot of discourse about pronouns in tv shows with gender non conforming characters but this show shows how pronouns should be used.

and then, there's also the whole thing where syd doesn't want to be called elena's girlfriend because they're nonbinary and so everyone tries to help out with finding a gender neutral term that fits. they ended up going with significant other, which is awesome.

so yeah. syd is awesome. the show does awesome. go watch it. get it to a season four. please.