Chapter 20

Chapter 20: how could I forget?

______________________

- a few hours later -

Rikki and Ross haven't been talking for the past few hours. Faith and Grace's parents have been out in minor surgery. There's no news on Laura or Ryland.

Doctor: "Marano and Lynch"

They all stand

Ross&Rikki: "how are they?"

They look at each other; both feeling a guilty: ross for the situation and rikki for her anger

Doctor: "we won't know for sure until we have any background information. Are any of them sick or suffering from an illness?"

Stormie: "no they're perfectly fine as far as I know"

Doctor: "okay we already read our diagnostics so the only question left is..." He looks thought the papers "ah...is the young lady pregnant?"

Before they can answer he speaks

"Oh my bad the diagnostics already have those results...so neither are sick, suffering from an illness and the girl is not pregnant"

Everyone: "WHAT!"

Doctor: "is something wrong?"

Ross: "is something wrong? Yes something's wrong. She IS pregnant"

Doctor: "sir I'm sorry but according to the results she's not"

Ross grabs the papers and reads them.

He fall to the floor. "She's not pregnant"

Faith: "wait so was she ever pregnant?"

Grace takes the papers from ross and reads them.

"You know for a doctor you're not very good at reading diagnostics"

Rikki looks over at the papers that grace is holding

Doctor: "excuse me but I don't understand what you're talking about"

Rikki: "exactly our point. The diagnostics clearly state that she.....(sighs) WAS pregnant but lost the baby due to a miscarriage during the car accident when too much pressure hit her stomach."

Everyone looks at her shocked from the news

Grace: "how could you not notice this?"

Faith: "what kind of doctor can't read basic diagnostic results?"

Doctor: "I'm sorry I must've misread the papers. I have to go back to the patients. May I have the papers back?"

Grace hands him the papers.

Faith: "wait doctor how are our parents doing?"

Doctor: "last names please?"

Faith: "Anderson"

Grace&Jamie: "Lancaster"

Doctor: "okay....they are almost done with surgery. They should be out of the hospital within three or four days"

Jamie: "thank you"

The doctor nods and walks off

Rikki: "ross?"

Ross sits there kneeling on the ground crying into his knees "you're right."

Rikki: "what?"

Ross: looks up at Rikki "you're right. It's all my fault. If I had told the police about Tessa than I would have never gotten all of us into the mess"