What the World Needs Now

The three of us walk into glee club to see everyone awaiting us.

"Hello, winners!" Rachel says in a sing-song voice.

"I don't know about you guys, but I'm still basking in the glow of our first of many championship trophies." She continues.

"Well, Dani, Rachel, and I want our champions to celebrate another champion." Kurt smiles.

"Katniss Everdeen!" Britt hollers. I laugh as Kurt walks to the board.

"Close. Burt Bacharach." Rachel says as Kurt reveals it's written on the board.

"Burt Bacharach has written 73 count em, 73- top 40 hits. He's also won three oscars, two golden globes, a-a boatload of Grammys, and his music has been featured on everything from the Simpsons to goodfellas." Kurt informs them.

"And you can't help but grin when you listen to his music. His songs are uplifting and theatrical and optimistic." I tell them.

"We need to soak up all his uplifting energy as we get ready for sectionals. Which are five weeks away, but I guarantee you, vocal adrenaline and the warblers are doing everything in their power to regain their former glory. But fear not, because we have a secret weapon." Kurt finishes, pointing to the door. Mercedes awkwardly walks through the threshold.

"Is that my cue?" She asks. The class claps and cheers as she walks in.

"Yes, I am here to mentor you, and yes, these might be real diamonds, and yes, my single 'Shakin my head' is number 89 on iTunes. So, which one of you wants me to mentor you?" Mercedes asks, arms open wide. Everyone stands up, raising their hands.

After glee club Mercedes, Rachel, and I are in the teachers lounge getting some coffee. I start putting a crap load of sugar in my coffee.

"So, lets get to it. What's going on between you and Sam?" Mercedes asks Rachel. I perk my head up, looking at the two. We start walking to a table.

"We... Nothing. I mean, why? What did... what did you hear?" She asked us.

"I've seen some eyes, and I've sensed some tension but I have a feeling nothings really happened yet? Why?" I ask her as well as we sit down.

"If the olympics has a gossip event, Kurt Hummel would be Mark Spitz." Mercedes explains bluntly, as we give each other a look.

"We were suppose to go out on a date, but both of us bailed because neither of us wanted to hurt you." Rachel says quietly.

"Mercedes Jones has seen Paris, okay [she laughs]? No I-I-I love Sam, but we're just friends. Plus, we already talked about this. It's time for you to get back out there." Mercedes assures her. I merely look down at my lap.

"I'll think about it." Rachel reply's.

"You know, it feels super weird being in here." Mercedes whispers. I laugh.

"Agreed." I admit.

"Hmm. I know. I used to feel that way, but then I got used to it." Rachel says.

"Yeah, well, I'm all for what you're doing here, as long as it's part of the Rachel Berry rebuilding project. Because we both know that soon enough, you're gonna have to go back where you belong. New York. Broadway." Mercedes starts a scolding tone.

"Why are you getting so worked up about it? I'm gonna go back." Rachel assures.

"I know you are, because at my lunch with Russell Simmons, he told me about a new broadway show his friends producing. It's a new, original musical. They're holding auditions on Friday, and you're going." Mercedes demands.