One | The Armed Detective Agency.

A/N - I highly recommend that you press play on the song above and let it run throughout this chapter! ;)

The Armed Detective Agency: one of the most elite and most powerful groups in the whole of Yokohama, Japan.

Everybody knew of their existence, but very few knew of their true identities.

Unless you were one of the gifted.

They were an elite group focused solely on solving crimes which were considered to be far too violent and difficult for the Military Police to handle. Often, these crimes were of a supernatural origin. Nearly all of the detectives within the company had their own special powers known as Abilities.

The Agency had an entrance exam for new employees, to assess if they had possessed the qualities that had made them worthy to join this agency made up of only the best of the best. The test had usually consisted of their qualities as a detective and their emotions of whether they were willing to risk their lives to save other people.

In order to join the agency, the candidate must take the test that evaluated their righteousness, prowess, wisdom, morality and genuineness of spirit. The examiner's job was to set up a situation that the candidate needed to solve. If the testee was able to pass the exam; that's when they had become an official member.

It was daunting.

And frankly—not a lot of people had passed; whether they had special abilities or not. It certainly wasn't easy.

Not everyone was cut out to join an exclusive group such as this one. A group of highly eccentric individuals who were able to take down dangerous, ability-wielding criminals, especially the ones that were also an inherent threat to innocent civilians.

The Japanese Avengers.

Except for you.

You had passed with flying colours.

You were one of the only ones who did so.

And today was supposed to be your very first day.

To say that you were nervous was an understatement.

All of the reasons not to do this right now had instantly come flooding in, as if your body chemistry had just sent them a blanket invitation. You felt the soft panic rise within you that had grown or faded depending on what you had chosen to do next. It would fade if you had decided to turn around and go back home, but then...it would mean that you were a true coward at heart. And you would have had to be completely and utterly stupid to turn down such an amazing opportunity; something that you had been working towards your entire life.

To be something.

To do something worthwhile with what you had.

The tangled knot of nerves in the pit of your stomach had continued to grow by the passing second—and it would continue to grow even larger and spill out of your mouth if you allowed these thoughts to swirl into a vortex of sheer stupidity, eating their own tail. Or you could have just breathed in and out real slow, allowing these useless thoughts to leak into the ether and become the real boss of you.

You were here, and there was no turning back now.

You were one of them.

You breathed in and out; deeply and heavily; balling your clammy hands tightly into fists as they remained strictly at your sides the entire time.

What if you weren't good enough?

No.

You couldn't do this.

This was a stupid idea.

How could you ever manage to live up to their standards? These were people with special powers. Special abilities. God's chosen people. They were superior beings; otherworldly creatures; unexplained mysteries.

And you were...

You were you.

The only thing that you had on your side was lady luck.

And just as you were about to turn around and finally walk away from this—

"[Y/N]," someone had suddenly called out your name; causing you to freeze in your position with your heart thumping almost audibly in your chest. It felt like the entire world could hear it. It was a voice that you had instantly recognised. How could you not? The voice of your examiner. The voice was somewhat unexpected. It was low, with an agreeable trace of huskiness and with a hint of more power than the frail body would suggest—not an educated voice, but one on which education had imposed a discipline which hadn't quite obliterated the provincial accent of childhood. "It's nice to see you again."

Shit.

There really was no going back now.

You whirled around to face the man standing closely behind you; pinning a rudimentary smile on your face while swallowing the boulder-sized lump that had enveloped your throat.

"Hi..." you sucked in a sharp breath; making direct eye contact with beautiful golden eyes; your heart beating a mile a minute. The man fixed you with a stern and serious look. He was the only person from the Armed Detective Agency whom you had officially met as of thus far; the rest still being unknown mysteries to you. "Kunikida."

A/N - hola, mi amigos y mi amigas. I'm back with another anime fanfic that I never thought I'd actually write in a million years but here I am! I fell in love with Dazai again during this quarantine period, and I wanted to go back to my anime roots!! Anyway, please enjoy, I'll try and update whenever I can. Please vote and comment too, it would mean a lot to me! Thank you!