Thirty-Seven | The President.

The President suggested that the two of you talked alone

The President suggested that the two of you talked alone. You agreed, and followed him out of the lounge and into an office. The space was characterised by dark oak veneer cabinetry and large slabs of deep green marble, which were complemented by linen curtains and metallic accessories. It was a well-decorated office; this man definitely had an eye for interior design.

You followed closely behind him the entire time as you shut the door behind you as soon as you entered. You noticed that even his footfalls were powerful and dominating. He took a seat at his desk as you stood nervously in front of the closed door.

The man looked over at you—sitting in a relaxed and powerful position. He extended his large hand open palmed and invited you to sit down. You unexpectedly gulped as you didn't say anything in response, proceeding with the formalities as you had sat down in the empty chair right in front of him. You instantly relaxed in your position, as the President's eyes had never once left yours; watching you closely and carefully the entire time; observing you like you were a rare painting in an art museum that was about to be stolen in a heist.

You were undoubtedly nervous. He offered you a cup of coffee, but you turned it down and instead accepted a glass of water which you took tiny sips of as you waited in perpetual silence. You didn't want to chew on your nails or lips, so you found yourself gnawing on the inside of your cheek. You couldn't anticipate what was going to happen. You couldn't anticipate whether you were going to be told to pack your bags and leave to try and fend for yourself, or whether you were going to be given the benefit of the doubt. Something told you that it might have been the former, because you knew that you were currently being hunted down by a lot of powerful organisations. You knew that your presence in this world-renowned agency was a major risk.

"You shouldn't be here." The man told you; narrowing his beautiful eyes at you. His expression was stoic and stern. "It's dangerous. Kunikida did not tell me that he recruited a new member of the Armed Detective Agency, which is very unlike him."

"I understand that." You responded, holding your head high. You knew that it was, in fact, dangerous, but you could protect yourself if it came down to it. "But I can protect myself."

You knew that everyone else had found out about the true nature of your ability. You knew the very moment that you had walked into the room and felt the lingering tension circulating around you. You realised that when everyone avoided your gaze. You knew that they already had a discussion about you moments before you came, deciding whether or not it was safe for the rest of the members of the Armed Detective Agency to keep you around.

"That's selfish." The man stated. You couldn't help but notice the deep wrinkles on his face that seemed to carve a map of his life on his still and agile and mobile facial features. He was a beautiful man, this was an undeniable fact. He had that look about him, a look that told you he was simultaneously charming yet destructive. It was a lot like you, actually. "Do you realise what it's going to mean for the Armed Detective Agency if I continue to let you stay here?"