Twenty-Six | Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?

A/N - you can press play on the song above and let it run throughout this chapter if you want to! :')

The sun set in the sky as fresh colours brushed upon an artist's canvas, as if those rays were destined to create a great work of art—one given to those open to capturing simple moments in the soul. With the setting sun came a sky of fire, the orange of every wintry hearth. It was the battle cry to the gathering night, that the only achievement of darkness was to show starlight all the more clearly.

You looked undeniably hot as you entered the nightclub—in fact, everyone did. You had worn a sexy little black dress; accentuating every curve and crevice of your beautiful body perfectly. Your [H/L] [H/C] hair cascaded down your back in loose, lustrous waves; the sky of fire enlightening your gorgeous tresses. You would describe your makeup as war paint. You used your sexuality like a weapon. You could twist men around your dainty little finger and make women jealous. And tonight—you had truly captured that essence, all thanks to Yosano, of course.

Everyone had arrived in two separate cars. You were in the car with Yosano, Atsushi, and Dazai, although you had still barely spoken a single word to Dazai and it had been approaching almost two days now. You knew that he had been looking at you hungrily the entire car ride, though. He just couldn't keep his goddamn eyes off of you. Yosano was not shy to bring up that fact either, as the two of you had entered the nightclub together; making you feel even more powerful than you already did.

The rest of the members of the Armed Detective Agency had dispersed; everyone separating as soon as you had all entered. The nightclub was rainbow lights and the sort of beats that revved up the soul. It was busy in here. Extremely busy. This place was hundreds of conversations told in loud voices, all of them competing with the rock music that currently dominated the atmosphere. The crowd was fairly young, students from the local university for the most part. You slipped in among the crowd, weaving your way through the mass of warm bodies and you made a bee-line straight for the bar. You desperately needed a drink to kickstart this tumultuous night.

Music filled the air without much effort, like the waves filling holes in golden beach sand; the sound rushing in and around every person in the room. Some reacted to the beat, others continued to chatter, but always it had spoken to them in some manner. A lively tempo could lift them, elevate the spirit, or move them to dance, whilst a slow one could relax the mood. Before the notes filled the air every person was an island, with it they all felt the same tidal flows and the beginnings of togetherness felt warm.

The smoke twisted in its artistic way, forming curls in the gloom, illuminated only by the age-speckled bar lights. Along the wall was every hue of amber liquid in their inverted bottles; every vice that you knew you probably should have avoided tonight, but then again, you were also never one to follow the rules.