Forty-Two | ♡

A/N - please don't press play on the song above just yet bbys

A/N - please don't press play on the song above just yet bbys. I'll tell you when you should at some point in the middle of the chapter!

TW: mentions of self-harm!

You entered the elevator, and the first thing that you noticed was that it was empty. Sighing, as soon as you entered the pristine elevator—you immediately dropped your bag on the ground beside you, allowing your aching shoulder to relax after the strap had been digging into it all damn day. The meeting felt like it had lasted for hours.

The others had decided to go out and get something to eat for lunch, but you, on the contrary, weren't in the mood. You weren't too hungry, you were more or less craving caffeine instead. You asked Yosano to bring you back something light to eat—maybe a sandwich or a baguette, anything that wouldn't be too heavy on your stomach. You would either binge eat like hell, or live off coffee and cereal bars for the next twenty-four hours, there was no in between. Today you were probably going to do the latter rather than the former.

You didn't know how to feel. You had been invited to a banquet by the Port Mafia of all people, knowing full damn well that their sole intention was just to try and get you on their side. But they weren't stupid either. They knew that you were going to decline their offer, they knew that you would never allow yourself to become one of them; a warden of the night. This meant that they had something up their sleeve. This meant that they were going to do whatever necessary to make sure that you left the Armed Detective Agency for good and joined the Port Mafia—and you couldn't exactly work out what the hell they had planned. They were unpredictable after all, nor were any of them good people with redeemable qualities in any way, shape or form whatsoever. They were the epitome of pure evil.

But you were excited. Excited because you were unable to anticipate the outcome—and the feeling of the unknown had electrified the entirety of your body, mind and soul. You were a sucker for adventure and spontaneity—and the Port Mafia were definitely going to feed that inexplicable hunger within you; that hunger for an explosion to happen, an explosion that would either be your salvation, or your ultimate downfall. It was exciting. Thrilling.

You were so damn lost in your own thoughts that you didn't even notice the elevator doors, as they were closing, suddenly coming to an abrupt halt when a polished black shoe had stopped the two doors from meeting once and for all. Your eyes were momentarily glued to the shoe shining under the opaque elevator light, but it didn't take very long for your eye contact to break with the shoe as soon as a tall, lean, bandaged body had waltzed inside the elevator; his sand-coloured trench coat flowing airily behind him as if an invisible wind was causing it to float in mid-air.

Dazai had entered the elevator.

You didn't know why, but your heart began to thump. You knew that it wasn't audible to anybody's ears but your own, but still, it felt like the whole world could hear how loud it was banging against your chest. Dazai didn't say a single word to you as he stood just a few inches away from you. You momentarily made eye contact with him, and his eyes—God. At this moment, they held the magnitude of a black hole. He looked away once he pushed the button to close the elevator doors, leaving the two of you alone, in this elevator. Nobody around.