You can do better (Meg thee Stallion and Normani) Part 1

They were supposed to be having a study session, but Megan noticed Normani had other things in mind.

"Okay, let's take a break," Megan said.

Normani tore her gaze away from her own phone and concernedly looked at her friend who was visibly bothered. "Huh? No, what's wrong?" Receiving a deadpan expression, Normani looked at her phone that rested on her marble notebook before looking at Megan again. A coy smile surfaced on the petite girl's features. "Megan, I'm sorry. I'll turn my phone off."

The tall girl lifted a hand mid-air, deeming Normani's decision unnecessary. "Just tell me what's up."

Normani avoided the stare of the dark, almond eyes of the other college student. Her own brown eyes were instead trained on the books on the oak table. She sighed lightly. "It's dumb."

Megan waited, choosing patience rather than rushing her friend. Plus she had an idea of the source of Normani's pain, but she didn't want to jump to conclusions nor press her.

Normani smiled but it didn't reach her eyes. She looked around the campus library, which just contained the two of them. Megan was good friends with one of the librarians, who gave her key despite it being past closing time. Megan had requested the favor. She got to study for an upcoming exam and spend time with Normani. It was a win-win. At least that had been the expectation.

"No one's here but us," Megan reminded the girl in a softer tone.

There was something about this moment and the look between the two students that gave Normani the confidence to open up. "Somebody I've been seeing...she won't claim me. At first I didn't care 'cause we're both private. But I was at her birthday party, she just now put up the photos, the party was a couple weeks ago-not one of the pics have me in them. Everybody else is posted but me." Normani's voice was getting louder. "And I know it sounds like some dumb shit to get worked up over but she can post everyone else but not me? What am I, chopped liver?"

Megan could feel Normani's frustration. "No, you are not," she firmly said. You are protein and nutrients, she wanted to say.

"Am I doing too much?"

"Mani, anyone who doesn't want to claim you doesn't deserve you. Period."

Normani smiled gently. "I know but I also know she can run her Instagram however she wants."

"Yeah, but she's posting up pictures of people she likes and cares about, right?" Normani nodded. "So where do you fit in that?"

"Ouch," Normani muttered.

"It sounds harsh but am I lying? Show me her account."

When Normani handed over her device, Megan scanned Normani's flame's Instagram page. She had her mother, sister, cousin, friends, co-workers, and food posted. But there were also a few photos with a man. Megan's brows furrowed.

"Normani who is this man with her?"

The photos were without caption and the man wasn't tagged with an account of his own.

"Her husband," Normani muttered.

"This bitch is married?"

"Yes, but he knows about us."

Megan's eyes widened. She looked at Normani in disbelief.

Normani looked down. "I know, I know."

"No, I don't know, what do you mean he knows about y'all?" Megan leaned over the table.

"He knows about our affair, that's all. What did you think I meant?" Normani gave her a judgmental look.

Megan was relieved, just a bit.

"Um, Mani, yeah, this ain't a good look...do better."

"I am. I want to." Normani nodded with conviction.

Megan shook her head and sighed. "Lawd."

"What are you doing?" Normani asked when her friend continued using her phone. She received nothing but a smirk and then her phone a couple seconds later.

"You promise to do better?" Megan said.

"Yes," Normani said laughingly.

"Mani, Mani, Mani, what am I going to do with you?"

"You still love me, though, right?" Normani batted her lashes some.

"Unfortunately." Megan then looked down at her notes.

The darker girl smiled, a real smile this time. Megan felt her staring, so she made eye contact.

"What?"

"Nothing, just thank you. For wanting the best for me."

Megan didn't respond right away. Her gaze resumed on her paper and she turned a page in her thick textbook. "I hope you want what's best for yourself."

And maybe give someone else a chance for a change, Megan thought.