Tryna See Sumn Part 3

I wake up the next morning with a stretch to my loud house phone ringing. Yes, I still have a house phone because my grandma doesn't use cell phones even though she has one. "Hi grandma," I say, answering the phone.

"Did you just wake up?"

I rub my eye with my free hand. "Haha, yep. You know I don't work for another couple hours though."

"I know," she agrees in her soft, high pitch voice. "Did you know Devonne is in town?"

My lips are in a line, but I engage my grandma nonetheless. "Oh, that's cool."

"She's looking forward to seeing you. I gave her your number, you should be hearing from her soon."

I chuckle. "Wow, grandma, didn't even check in with me first?"

"Ruby," she chides. "You two used to love each other."

Used to being the key words.

"Alright, grandma," I say. "I guess I can talk to her."

I don't know why she's so pleased about a reunion. If she knew what I know about Devonne, she wouldn't be feeling this way. Grandma and I talk a couple minutes more and then I start getting ready about my day. As I wait for my coffee, I pick up my cell phone and see a text in the notifications tab. It reads:

Hi Ruby! It's Devonne. I spoke to your grandma <3

Are you available for breakfast this AM?

It's tempting to ignore her text, but I know it would get back to my grandmother and I don't want to upset her, so I agree to meet Devonne. I meet her at her Pilates class. She gives me her trademark, big smile and we hug.

"So good to see you!" she says, looking up at me. "Sorry I'm all sweaty."

"The drinks will cool you down."

She nods and finishes using a hand towel on her face, neck and brunette hair. Devonne chooses a juice bar.

"You're sure on your health kick, aren't you?" I comment when we sit down and wait for our drinks.

Devonne trills her lips. "In this business, I have to be!"

"How's the career going by the way?" I smile.

"Better!" she acknowledges. "Glad I kicked my last agent to the curb. He sucked so hard at his job." She rolls her eyes. "But this one got me in a Sketchers commercial and don't laugh...but Disney Channel skit."

I raise my eyebrows and before I can say anything, Devonne holds her hand up. "Before you roast me, Disney is a big ass company."

I chuckle. "I know, that's why I'm happy for you."

"Oh." She then laughs sheepishly.

"Yeah, I wasn't going to roast you. That's great news." I nod and sip my green tea. "What?" I ask, noticing her staring at me.

"Are you still at that store?"

"I am."

"Ruby, whyyy?You know you're worth more than working at some sneaker store."

"That's rich coming from the girl who booked Sketchers."

"A Sketchers ad, not retail," she argues.

"What's wrong with working in retail? A job is a job." I'm so turned off, I knew I shouldn't have come.

"Yeah, but is this the job you want for the rest of your life? Ruby, you came to America, from when you were a little girl with a dream of being a star. How do you expect to get there if you don't put the work in?"