Crushing (feat China Anne McClain & Koffee)

China watched her classmates all work on their projects

China watched her classmates all work on their projects. She was the only one who couldn't do hers. Unable to contain her frustration, she barged out of her seat, garnering attention, and marched to her professor's desk.

Professor Ealy was watching her from the moment he heard her chair skid against the floor.

"Professor, can I please change partners or do the project by myself? My partner hasn't come to class in a week and she's a shi—bad communicator."

Professor Ealy, a light skinned man in his forties who taught both Movie Analysis and African American Television Hypnosis, attentively listened to the irate student with a blank expression.

"Who is your partner again?" he asked.

"Mikayla Simpson."

His eyebrow smoothly arched at the way she pronounced the girl's name with revulsion.

"Okay," he said, opening a green book. "Let me see check my notes."

"Okay," she muttered, frown still in place on her smooth brown face. She waited as he traced his finger down a long row of handwritten names.

He hummed in interest before tapping the page and locking eyes with China again. "Apparently she's a singer with commitments that get in the way of her education."

"Then why doesn't she drop out?" When she was met with silent amusement, she cleared her throat. "Alright, well, if she can't do it, then I'll gladly complete it myself." She shrugged.

The lecturer paused. "I'll give her a call. Your grade won't suffer, Ms..."

"McClain."

"Right."

"So...what do I do now?"

"In the meantime, you can tend to your other classes or read a book." He looked at her politely. Then adjusted his glasses as he returned his attention to his work.

For the first few minutes, China checked to see if Professor Ealy was on his phone. He was not. She shook it off and got lost in Monday's Not Coming by Tiffany D. Jackson. When class ended, she thought Professor Ealy might try to give her another word, but he didn't seem like he had anything to say further.

China moved past the bustle of students and ran into her friend, Maddie, who was waiting for her outside the lecture hall.