Questioning (feat. Lisa Lopes/Left Eye and Alicia Keys)

"What's wrong, L?"

"Yeah, you're being hella quiet."

Lisa looked at her friends and managed a small smile. "I'm aight, I'm just thinking."

"K, pause this," Teyana said, motioning towards the large projector.

"I am," Kehlani replied, hitting pause on her smart remote.

The two of them gave Lisa their undivided attention, each respectively sprawled out on the sofa in Kehlani's movie room.

Lisa saw no point in trying to hide away from the topic. She knew her friends weren't going to let it go, so she might as well voice her discomfort.

Sighing softly, Lisa began. "It's just relationship stuff. I know me and Nia aren't even technically together but sometimes I wonder if we ever even will be..."

"She still ain't come out?" Teyana asked before leaning her head back and dumping a bag of sunflower seeds into her mouth.

"I don't know. I just know I be overhearing her father in the background when we're on the phone. He's one of those people who don't mind gay people until it's his own."

"Mm," said Kehlani, shaking her head in disdain.

"It's sad how in 2020 stuff like this is still an issue. Like, what the fuck?" Teyana said.

"Look at racism, that shit is still here," Kehlani replied.

"Tuh," Teyana said. "Don't even get me started. But back to you, babe." She patted Lisa's knee.

Lisa gazed at her own lap where her hands were loosely intertwined. "Yeah, we just need to talk. We can finish the movie first."

"You sure?" Kehlani asked.

"Yeah, I wanna see what happens to Eddie," Lisa said, cracking a smile.

"Me too," Teyana agreed.

After the friends finished their movie, they hugged and went about their separate ways, with Kehlani staying behind.

As Lisa drove, she thought about the conversation she would have with Nia. They were still new in their relationship but spending time or talking to someone every day for five months can make a bond feel strong.

She didn't want to lose Nia. The girl made her happy and her world brighter. But she couldn't shake the feeling of knowing Nia's family wouldn't embrace her. Lisa was one of those people who sought approval from others. It wasn't a fact that made her proud, but it was the truth.

She was a people-pleaser. It bothered her if someone didn't like her or had a problem with her. As much as she came off like a positive, confident person, she was still inwardly sensitive.

Lisa knew Nia's relationship with her family was a strong one, so the thought of possibly getting in the way of that, alarmed her.

Since Nia was at her cheerleading practice, Lisa had some time to still think or overthink the situation. She opted to go to the coffee shop that wasn't far from Nia's school.

Ever since Lisa found out about the shop a month ago, she'd become a regular. She liked the service, and she especially liked that it was black-owned.

"Alicia, your girl is here."

Alicia perked up. She also swatted at her friendly co-worker. "Stop it."

The co-worker laughed. "Look at that smile. When are you going to make a move?"

"She has a girlfriend, remember?" Alicia said quietly.