First Impressions (Kiersey Clemons and Kiki Layne)

Both actresses could feel the awkwardness. The atmosphere screamed "this is a flop." Calling it a day only seemed logical. No need to come up with an excuse.

But Kiersey, true to self, wasn't ready to ditch the failing lunch date just yet. She'd been anticipating this moment with her co-star, so she was going to get answers.

In her view was a mighty fine mahogany hued woman who was near 30 but could pass for about ten years younger. Her name was Kiki and she was working on her fourth movie where she and Kiersey were playing love interests. Their director suggested they spend time together off set to make the chemistry as convincing as possible.

So here they were, on a Wednesday early afternoon, at a Mexican-inspired restaurant. You would think the food made up for this lackluster date, but nope, even that turned out to be mediocre.

"Is it me or is this going badly?" Kiersey asked, stroking her chin. 

Kiki, who'd been downing small spoonful of beans, cracked a half-smile. "You think it's bad?"

"Well, yeah. The dead air, and no offense, but you seem like you'd rather be anywhere but here. Maybe even in the kitchen, cooking with them." She nodded her head towards the back of the smoky establishment and laughed some.

Kiki straightened up. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Realizing her joke didn't sit well, Kiersey tried to clear it up. "Oh, nothing, it's nothing. That was me trying to make an analogy of how bored you seem. Comedy has never been my strength."

The steeliness from Kiki's eyes faded. She averted her gaze onto her plate. "I thought you were trying to say I belong in the kitchen or something."

Kiersey's mouth and eyes widened.  "Girl, no! I would never."

"I was like she better not," Kiki said, chuckling.

"No, no, noooo. I would never make a joke like that to another black woman."

Kiki continue to regard Kiersey with a glimmer of humor. "Just so you know," she started, leaning forward. "If I was back there, it'd taste a lot better than what's in front of us."

Kiersey laughed gleefully, clapping. "I wanna taste your cooking," she said afterwards, tracing her glass.

The other actress didn't directly comment on that, but she didn't seem to mind Kiersey's remark. "Can you cook?" She laughed when Kiersey paused like she had to think about it. "That means no."

"Hey, I can, when I choose to." She playfully narrowed her eyes and then laughed softly. "Feel free to give me a lesson, though."

Kiki smirked. "Oh okay."

Kiersey looked down, laughing to herself before licking her own ruby lips.

"You know this is the most lively this thing has been so far," Kiki mentioned, as Kiersey nodded vibrantly.

Kiki burst into a fit of giggles. Kiersey just smiled, drinking in the sight, glad to see the date had turned around.

"Yeah, it's not going so bad anymore," Kiersey said a little distracted, eyes glued on the other beauty.

"You know you're hella flirtatious."

Kiersey looked off to the side with a grin. She's been told this a lot.

"I bet you hear that a lot, huh?" Kiki added, also humored.

"I mean, yeah, not gonna lie. But also, people confuse my friendliness and curiosity for something more."

Kiki looked at her seriously, nodding, "That's true."

"But I'm not about to pretend you aren't fine as hell." Kiersey laughed. "We're not about to do that." She brought her drink to her own lips.

Kiki blushed some before locking eyes again. "You're fine too, Kiersey."

"Thanks," she chuckled, stirring her lemonade with her straw. She smiled when she noticed Kiki just staring at her. "Yes?"

"No, it's just..." Kiki looked down again at her plate in contemplation. "Okay, so, not a lot, only like two people, told me to watch out for you. That you're a player. I'm sorry let them cloud my judgement."

Kiersey set her drink down a little too loudly. "Wait, what? Who told you that?"

Kiki looked around. "Not here. I'll tell you later, okay?"

"I swear, bitches act like H stands for high school instead of Hollywood."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"No, it's fine. Thank you for telling me. I guess that explains why the mood was so messed up." Kiersey chuckled and Kiki nodded guiltily. "Should we get the check?"

They walked on Sunset Boulevard, some people greeting them, asking if they were who they are, and requesting a picture with them. The attention and fanfare they were getting seemed to pick Kiersey up.

"So what do you have planned for the rest of the day?" Kiersey enquired.

"Why, are you ready to get rid of me?"

"Just kidding," Kiki added.

"No! We can keep it going," Kiersey said at the same time. "It's kinda last minute, but do you wanna go to the beach?" Gentle laughter bubbled in her tone.

"I'm down."

*

Two weeks later

Filming intimate scenes can be awkward. Under the stares of many, you're being assessed and coached to make sure it's going well. But this moment between Kiersey and Kiki looks and feels just the opposite of rehearsed. They kiss with fervor, so enraptured in the moment that mere kisses and bodies pressed together are enough to prompt hushed moans.