You can do better (Megan Thee Stallion and Normani) Part 2

Megan and her friend London collected their Chinese food-to-go and made the walk back to their college campus.

"So here's what I wanted to tell ya." London grinned.

"Ooh, girl, it must be good judging by that smile," responded Megan.

London laughed. "It is! You know Professor Hardwick?"

London:

"That light skinned man with the beard and waves? The one that everyone gasses?" Megan asked, eliciting another laugh from her friend

"That light skinned man with the beard and waves? The one that everyone gasses?" Megan asked, eliciting another laugh from her friend. "Yeah, what about him?"

"He's one of my favorite professors ever. He's letting us make a short doc about our dream careers. How tight is that?"

Megan pursed her lips in approval as if to say "not bad."

"So you know I'm focusing on this rap shit," London continued. "Annnd my friend should be a part of it too." She cozied up to Megan's side, who chortled.

"You want me to be in it or behind the scenes?"

"Shit, both."

"But I haven't been taking rap seriously for damn near a year now. You know I been focused on school and helping take care of Kairo."

Kairo, Jr. was Megan's one and only nephew through her sister Kennedy. Megan didn't like that Kennedy had to struggle as a single parent, though it wasn't anyone's fault. Just a year ago, Kennedy lost her husband when a heart attack claimed him. He was on his way home from work when he passed out in the street.

Megan noticed the sadness form on London's face. "Thank you for thinking of me though. I'll help any way I can. It just won't make sense for me to be a subject when I have nothing to show."

Quietness fell between them as they entered the campus and passed the lobby before waiting for an elevator to take them to London's dorm room. Megan and London had been roommates up until late junior year when Megan moved back home to be with her family.

London turned the key to her room and moved her long acrylic bright neon green nails along the white light switch.

"Phew, finally, now we can eat," Megan said, setting her double-plastic-bagged food onto the table.

London's silence became the loudest thing about the room. Megan would steal questioning looks at the black- and blonde-haired woman from when they washed their hands to when they set out their food.

"What's wrong with you?"

"Me? Nothing." London offered a smile that didn't reach her eyes.

Megan added the white rice from its own container to her General Tso chicken and broccoli. Eyes on her food, Megan started to reply. "I hope this ain't because I said I can't do it."

London ceased all movement apart from her lips. "Now Meg, come on, you know me better than that."

"Well that's when you got all mute on me. I'm happy as fuck that you're making the documentary..."