Make me Feel Part 2

Janelle isn't surprised when the room is swallowed by silence. She rolls onto her side, so she is facing her fiancée. A calm and assured expression rests on Janelle's features.

Audrey on the other hand looks like she might laugh. She has to sit up and turn on the mini lamp on her nightstand. "Janelle, you want to do music again?"

"Yes." The Black beauty maintains her composure.

Silence encases them yet again. Janelle looks at her curiously and is about to speak when Audrey finds her own voice. She tucks her shoulder-length pin straight hair behind her ears.

"I'm just a little confused. Are you saying you want to quit your job?"

Though her tone doesn't give it away, Janelle can tell Audrey thinks this is ludicrous. There is a reason she's been holding onto this secret.

"I've been wanting to quit for some time now." Janelle hums in the affirmative when Audrey's lips go ajar. "Yes. It's become a little depressing for me. Is it really that shocking? You yourself always told me you didn't know how I 'did it.'" She uses air quotes.

"Well yes, but you never indicated that you wanted to leave," Audrey breathes out defensively. "How long have you been feeling this way? How come you never told me?"

Janelle just looks at Audrey for a moment.

Audrey covers her mouth, barely containing a giggle. "You were afraid I'd freak out. Oh, baby, I'm sorry. You know I want you to come to me about anything."

With a sigh, Janelle quietly thanks her.

"Yeah, of course, baby," Audrey coos, rubbing the back of her yellow toned hand over the brown of her partner's cheek. "Speaking of baby..." she comically wiggles her head and crosses her eyes. Janelle laughs and calls her a fool. "How are we going to have Olive if you're doing the music stuff?"

"We? You do want Olive?"

"If she will make you happy, yes."

"If she will make you happy," Walter repeats, raising his eyebrows. "Interesting. I thought the purpose of having a kid with your partner is because it will make you both happy." He rubs his chin and gives a pigeon laugh. "Yeah, Janelle, from what you're telling me, her mind hasn't changed. She doesn't want kids."

Janelle and Walter are at their usual spot, Elmont Bar, the same bar where she first met Audrey.

"You're not telling me anything I don't already know," Janelle replies. "The answer was sweet but problematic. You already know I feel very strongly about the wrong people becoming parents. If you don't want to have kids, don't. Please don't." She frowningly shakes her head repeatedly.

"I hear you...but people can grow to love parenting. You know? Little Olive could be the best thing to ever happen to Audrey."

"Besides me?"

"Besides you." He chuckles and drinks his beer.

Walter is like the little brother Janelle never had. He was her first client when she started crisis coaching. After serving in the military, Walter enrolled into a support system that was supposed to help him transition back into civilian life. However, he realized the facility was deceitful.

Still dealing with the post-traumatic stress of war life and burdened by the program he was in he spiraled out of control. He knew he needed help but didn't trust anyone. His mother eventually convinced him to go to therapy and that's how Janelle landed in his life. He credits Janelle for getting his life back on track.