Connectedness (Ryan Destiny and Normani)

"I need to get out this house," Ryan thought aloud.

"What?"

Ryan looked at her roommate Normani who was on the opposite side of the room.

"What'd you say?" Normani went on.

"I said I need to get out this house," Ryan said. "You would know that if you were paying attention." Even though Ryan's tone was calm and collected, one could tell she was bordering on frustration. And with good reason, too.

Normani peeped the sassiness radiating from Ryan but chose not to make a fuss about it. Besides, Ryan now had her undivided attention. Normani put her phone down and gazed at her friend, who was obviously bothered about something.

"Do you want company or?" Normani asked.

Ryan smirked. While she was introverted and enjoyed solitude, one of her favorite things in life was spending time with Normani.

"That depends, are you going to give me the company? Or your phone?"

"Are you done shading me?"

That got Ryan to crack a small smile.

Normani made a show of rolling her eyes and standing to her feet, approaching the other dark-skinned beauty.

"I'm not shading you," Ryan said. "But if the shoe fits..."

Normani turned away and walked back towards the couch, picking up her phone. She powered it off and then held it up for Ryan to see. "We good now?"

Ryan bit her tongue. The issue wasn't so much the phone as it was what the phone symbolized. For the past month, Normani had become engrossed with her phone because that was how she mainly communicated with a new girl she was interested in. Diamond was her name. They met when Normani served her table. From then on, Diamond became the reason Normani would smile like an idiot as her eyes were glued to her phone screen. Sometimes she'd look away with a blush and sometimes she'd chuckle with warm eyes. She had all the symptoms of a girl with a crush.

Sometimes Ryan felt silly for being jealous because it definitely seemed like a virtual or long-distance relationship—not that they were a couple. Their situation reminded Ryan of Catfish except Diamond was really Diamond.

"So where are we going?" Normani questioned as she and Ryan went upstairs to get ready.

Ryan smiled impishly. Now that she knew Normani was going to join her, she decided the destination she'd been excited about.

"Somewhere fun, that's all you need to know," Ryan said. "I'll drive."

Haunted houses were not Normani's idea of fun.

"Is this because of my phone?" Normani complained when they first arrived at the attraction that was a part of the fair. It was hilarious to Ryan to see the way Normani tensed up and panicked and it was only going to be even funnier once they went inside the "house."

Ryan chuckled. "Oh come on, I'm gonna be right there with you."

Normani glared at her, which made her friend laugh. But interestingly enough Normani didn't refuse to go on the ride. She was a real friend indeed.

Between the two, most of the screaming came from Normani but Ryan was startled a few times.

"Boy, good thing I was there," Ryan commented when they exited the attraction. She laughed at the dirty look Normani gave her that was followed by a small shove.

"You see that roller coaster? We're getting on it." Normani pointed and Ryan swallowed.

"Now?" Ryan asked.