I believe in you part 3

I got to Justine's house as fast as I could. I was clenched with anger because she had called me up crying and I knew it was over that fuck bum she'd been seeing.

Her mother told me she was in her room. I knocked and heard her solemn voice tell me to come in. A glare was on my face, but it wasn't directed at her, but the situation.

"I swear for God when I see him, I'mma hurt him," I seethed.

Justine just offered a small, closed-mouth smile. I took off my Jordans and got in the bed. She looked at me in amusement as I felt her forehead and cheeks with the back of my hand.

"I'm not sick, you know

"I'm not sick, you know."

"Did you eat?"

"This morning."

"It's 4PM!"

I knew I should have picked something up before I got there but I just wanted to be there as fast as I could.

"What do you want? To eat."

"My mom made soup. I'll eat some of that." She got ready to move but I stopped her.

"I'll bring it up."

She smiled. "You sure?"

I nodded and got out the bed. When I went in the kitchen, I found Justine's mother blowing her nose. She looked at me with red, teary eyes.

"Hi," she said, quickly wiping her eyes.

"Hi," I said softly. "You okay?"

She paused for a moment before smiling and shaking her head.

"As a parent, all you want is to protect your child. I feel like I..." she took in sharp breaths. I approached her and rubbed her back. "Protect her..." she managed to get out, crying again. That was the kind of cry that brings you to your knees.

My heart broke for Ms. Skyers.

"Mama, it's not your fault," I said, hugging her. "You didn't know she would wind up with some asshole."

"But I failed to protect her," she quivered out and sniffled.

"Let's sit down," I suggested. "Do you mind if I warm the soup?"

"No, go right ahead." She walked to the stove and turned on the fire on the kettle. Then she looked at me with a tired smile. "Teyana, don't worry about me, sweetheart. Continue to be with Justine. You've always been a good friend."

I was hesitant to leave her like that.

"I'm fine, really. I just needed to let it out," she said and breathily chuckled.

"Okay, Ms. Skyers. But if you need anything, just give a shout or call. I mean it."

Her smile was full this time. I decided to wait with her until the soup finished and then I took the bowl to Justine.

"Where were you?" she asked, sitting up.

"Talking to your mom."

She nodded knowingly. "Was she crying?" she said more than asked. "You can just set that there." She pointed at her dresser. "Thanks."

"She feels like she failed you," I quietly informed as I lied beside her, rubbing her stomach.

Justine sighed. "It's not like I told anybody what was going on."

"And that disturbs me that you would keep that away. Did Lori know?"

Our conversation turned silent. I looked down at Justine.

"Yes," she admitted and grabbed my arm. "You were doing so well, I didn't want to put a damper on it."

"...What? You have to give me a better reason than that."

Yes, I was doing well in school, including with science art. I was competing in competitions and was qualifying for a few scholarships as a result. And while that was good and all, that wasn't more important than my best friend.

"You've already been to hell and back, you were finally happy again...your grades, scholarships, Kay...-

"But Justine, you are my friend. My best friend. And you were there for me for the hardest time in my life...and it hurts that I couldn't be there for yours."

She didn't say anything. Then I heard her weeping. I pulled her so she was on top of me and kissed her head.

"Don't ever keep shit like that away from me again," I said.

"I'm sorry," she cried.

"You don't need to be sorry for anything." I was getting emotional too. "Bitch ass boy." Any person who puts his hands on a woman is not a real man.

Justine tried to stay up with me, but baby girl was tired.

"It's okay, love, go to sleep." I chuckled.

She made this little moaning sound as she snuggled closer against me, a soft smile on her angelic, sleepy face.

I had to ignore what I just heard because it was sexy. I've always felt that Justine was my soulmate and that she would make me a very happy girl. She already did just by being my homie. And she was beautiful. But she didn't like girls, so.

She actually reminded me of Kay. I told Justine this, but she smiled and said she doesn't see it. I told her it's not just their beauty, but their aura and spirit.

"I don't want to keep you from Kay," she murmured. I bit my lip, feeling her plump lips on my neck. It only lasted a millisecond because she turned on the opposite side.

"It's fine, Jus. She knows I'm making up for lost time."

I was less from a month away from graduating and going to FIT on scholarship. It was amazing how my education turned around in a matter of months, all because I chose to "invest" and "care" about my studies, as Ms. Robinson had said.

I noticed I hadn't seen her around. And from talking to Kay, Justine, Lori and some of the other kids, we saw that she was gone from what was turning out to be a week.

Principal Henson called an assembly meeting in the auditorium. By her extra serious expression, I could tell we probably weren't going to like what we were going to hear.

"I'm nervous," Kay said, speaking my mind—shit, all of us mind.

I squeezed her hand.

"Hopefully whatever it is isn't too bad," Lori said.

We all agreed.

"I know many of you have been wondering about Principal Robinson's whereabouts," Ms. Henson began, holding the mic. "Understandably, she wanted to keep this private, mainly because she didn't want to worry or concern anyone."

"Oh no," I said. Kay squeezed my hand hard.

Justine held in a breath.

"Ms. Robinson is staying as strong as she can in the hospital..."

Everything else faded and became background noise. It felt like everything was moving in slow motion as she said Ms. Robinson was battling cancer.

Thankfully Ms. Henson encouraged us to show our support and wishes for Ms. Robinson and let us know the hospital she was staying at.

"I knew it was bad!" Justine said.

"Did y'all know she was sick?" Kay asked.

I shook my head no. Justine and Lori and some of our classmates talked amongst themselves, but I was too stunned to speak.

All I knew was that after school, I was going to see Ms. Robinson.