I believe in you part 4

"I'm going upstairs," Kay said, hoisting her tote bag over her shoulder.

The three of us, Justine, Lori, and me, watched her climb over the bench and leave. She didn't so much as look at me over her shoulder. When I tore my gaze off her retreating back, Justine had her eyebrows lifted at me. Meanwhile, Lori's cheeks were all puffed like she was ready to bust out laughing.

I sighed. "Bye babe," I said sarcastically.

"What did you do?" Justine asked.

"Why I gotta be the culprit?"

She just gave me a closed-mouth, mature smile.

Another sigh left me as I bowed my head. I busied my hands with the furry puff ball accessory. It was attached to the bottom zipper on my backpack. When I saw Kay with it, I couldn't help but laugh because that thing was so 2016. But I couldn't stop playing with it, so she gave it to me.

"She thinks I'm choosing Ms. Robinson over her," I said. If you could hear my voice. I sounded like a kid whose toys were taken away.

"Did she say that?" Justine asked.

"She didn't have to say it. I saw it in her body language—like what you just saw her do---when I told her I was visiting Ms. Robinson today."

"Aw, Teyana. She probably wanna spend time with you."

"We do spend time together. Every day. At lunch and all night."

"When's the last time you went on a date?"

"It's only been a week."

"So you've been seeing Ms. Robinson for a week straight?" Lori butted in.

"Yeah, and?" I challenged her.

"Wow, that's crazy." She shook her head, smiling.

I moved my head. "How? How, Sway?"

"I think what she's saying is we all know Ms. Robinson's situation is tragic, but a week straight? That's a bit much--" Justine started.

"She better write you a recommendation letter," Lori cut her off. 

Justine chuckled.

"She already did," I said. Their silence caused a smug look to spread across my face.

"And I ain't even have to ask," I mentioned.

"Aw, Tey." Justine pouted.

"Damn, looks like y'all both have mad love for each other," Lori said.

"Girl, shut up."

She raised her hands in surrender. "I'm just saying."

"Because teachers and principals don't write recommendation letters." I rolled my eyes.

"I know they do, she wrote mine too." Lori smirked at me.

I shifted. "She did?"

Justine nodded, cosigning Lori.

It made me feel some type of way.

Lori's smirk widened as she stared at me. "Yeah, you're not the only one, boo."

"I'm not your—"

"Which by the way, I'm proud of both of y'all for killing this semester. I know it wasn't easy," Justine cleared her throat, interrupting me. She smiled at me and Lori.

"Thank you." I blew a kiss at Justine. "You did good too."

"I did alright," she shrugged.

"Not gonna lie, you really turned your situation around," Lori told me. "Props for that."