Kirishima and Scars

Scars.

They show up during unexpected moments, usually preventable, but there's no clock to turn back time and rub away events that linger through tough skin housing numbness and memories.

Kirishima's scar stares back at him every time he looks in the mirror. It cuts right through his eye like a blade, and it took him years not to shrink back at the sight. It reminds him of how crass his quirk feels at times, how unsightly it is compared to more aesthetically pleasing quirks, flashier quirks, quirks that highlight a heroic glow from within. He just turns sharp, and harsh, and solid; inflexible. Even when his quirk isn't activated, his scar serves as a reminder.

It takes him a long time to feel comfortable in rough and angular skin, so instead he finds solace in those extreme intersections and slants. He hides behind a mountain of questionable handholds, jarring upwards into the sky and towards the sun with his hair and hero costume. It's loud and sticks out, making it a perfect hiding spot to wheel away his insecurities.

The first time someone else touches his scar he isn't prepared for it and reels back from the hand. There was no malice in the gesture, but drawing attention away from his left eye is always preferred. It's almost a year before it happens again, and this time he gives permission.

Kirishima isn't sure why he feels relief mixed with tension when it happens, when a thumb pads over the skin under his eyebrow. It's like someone dabbing away patiently at an open wound to alleviate the pain unseen. When the hand is replaced with soft lips he shudders at the warmth, and truly for the first time can associate marred skin with acceptance.