Knight! Reader x Dragon! Bakugou Pt. 3

Three months had passed since you left Bakugou lying in a pool of his own blood in the woods. You didn't return to town and instead wandered in a new direction down an unfamiliar path. The kingdom probably assumed you'd finally died at the hands of the dragon; maybe that was for the best.

The fights you'd survived against the dragon had taught you many things in addition to honing your strength and reflexes. While lying in wait in front of his cave, you sometimes captured your own food and had learned where to search for nearby water. Now without the comforts and safety of a town, you truly put your skills to the test.

With most of your armor long-discarded due to its weight and reminders of those whose goals you used to serve, you relied more on your own abilities to not only survive...but thrive as well.

You often wondered what happened to Bakugou; since you didn't finish him off, he surely healed and went about his way, right? Did he continue terrorizing the town? Did the King hire more willing fighters to face off against him? Or did he flee to find his own path as you had done rather than wallow in painful memories of things he could not change?

As the weather grew colder, you found yourself building fires in caves to shield yourself from the biting wind. "I might have to find a town soon...it'll be hard to find meat once most of the animals start hibernating," you mused while huddled up to the warmth of the flickering fire.

The flames reminded you of him...quick, burning, dangerous, and an almost beautiful mixture and red and orange. Ever since you left him in that clearing, you couldn't stop thinking about him...but why?

Because you'd finally beaten him?

Because he trusted the truth of his past to you in some deathbed confession?

Because a part of you didn't actually want to leave him there?

You pulled the fur you'd skinned a while back tighter around your shoulders and swept the thought away, caught in the embers that licked the dark cave ceiling before disappearing into the air.

Several more days passed in your struggle to stay warm as the first dry flecks of snow fell to the ground. Eventually, you came upon a worn dirt path that wound through the woods to an unknown destination. "This is my only chance to get somewhere without a map..." Even though you felt more fulfilled on your own rather than under under the scrutiny of a King, being on your own and without knowledge of the area since you'd just sort of started wandering made you question your choice.

Your feet crunched under the building snow as you walked, step by step, towards somewhere you hoped was habitable and warm. A sound to your left made you stop. A snapping twig? An owl, maybe?

Then, out of nowhere, a dark shadow burst out from the treeline in front of you splintering wood in all direction with a deafening roar.

The creature - no, a monster really - was covered in pitch-black hair and stood on four legs. Larger than a bear, it turned towards you with snarling white teeth and glowing yellow eyes.

Can I fight this? What the hell is it?! Quickly, you whipped out your sword and stood your ground as the bizarre creature stepped towards you ominously. Many animals were still hunting and storing up food for the long winter, desperate to survive the cold; was this thing searching for its next meal?

Like lightning, it leaped towards you and you barely managed to dodge, swinging your sword down in a wide arc. You managed to catch it on its hind leg but not deep enough to do any real damage. That obviously pissed it off so it turned and lunged once more. You held your sword aloft but the monster had learned from that one mistake and barreled right into you, knocking you to the ground.